Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reg. my 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2
Last summer the damper bladder had displaced and leaked fluid into the leg. I was able to correct the problem and completed cleaning and oil refill of entire fork. Used Torco RSF Med. (same as Fox 7wt) in the damper. Note Fox calles for 10wt.in the damper even though they don't offer it for sale in the Fox store.
For my next service I would like get back to the same wt.as new. I am aware of the charts offered by Peter Verdone in his websites.
Option 1; Mixing Redline Med and Heavy
Question: Do you know the correct ratio of the mix?

Option 2; Fox or Torco 10 wt.
Question: Do you know if Fox is using a Torco product for the 10 wt.and what it is?

The 7 wt. worked fine in the damper but I did have to dial way up on the settings.

I also noted the 2010 models call for 10 wt. in the damper and legs.

Thanks!

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Fox 10wt is Fuchs Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt which has a cSt of [email protected] degrees C. Maxima 15wt would be a close and readily available substitution.
Source for the Fox = Silkolene?

I thought the Fox fluid was the Torco RSF medium. PVD's suspension fluid page is pretty useful. I'm using Maxima Fork Oil 10wt for all of my Fox Forks.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
Source for the Fox = Silkolene?

I thought the Fox fluid was the Torco RSF medium. PVD's suspension fluid page is pretty useful. I'm using Maxima Fork Oil 10wt for all of my Fox Forks.
PVD's chart is a bit dated...for instance it still has Torco RFF as Rock Shox Oil when SRAM switch to Maxima a couple of years ago. Still a very useful chart but dated.

Fox 7wt is Torco RSF Medium, but Fox is not using 7wt in their newer forks, not even as splash lubrication. Their 10wt is Silkolene RSF Pro 10wt...in fact the bottle is identical with a Fox sticker on it instead of a Silkolene one.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
Cool info guys, I am going to make the jump to Enduro seals on my on 2009 Fox Float, Parts are in the mail. Should I use the 7 wt Fox oil I have now or get the new 10wt Silkolene RSF Pro as suggested or mix the two.
I know the new 2010 models are different; but is it worth it for my 09? Suggestions?:???:

I feel the little heavier weight will make the fork feel smoother for me. I weigh 160lbs

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
DavidNeiles said:
Cool info guys, I am going to make the jump to Enduro seals on my on 2009 Fox Float, Parts are in the mail. Should I use the 7 wt Fox oil I have now or get the new 10wt Silkolene RSF Pro as suggested or mix the two.
I know the new 2010 models are different; but is it worth it for my 09? Suggestions?:???:

I feel the little heavier weight will make the fork feel smoother for me. I weigh 160lbs
There spec's are here, look under service...oil volumes

Basically, if you have a Float R you should use 160cc's of Fox 10wt, if you have a RL or RLC you use 160cc's of Fox 7wt.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
I have just rebuilt my 08 Float RL, Just changed oil in it and it works a ton better, it has not been ridden much, seals still are good. The Float RLC 09 I am going to service is my race bike and the last race was super cold and the ice destroyed my fox seals + the were stock and I got 7 months out of them. So this is my first experience with Enduro, I am want to see how much better you guys say they are. Heard good things and can't wait to get the fork done. Just curious as some people say 10wt is better than 7wt. Thanks again:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.