Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cornering technique - need advice

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  DudeNudem 
During last Sunday's ride I was coming pretty fast into a left turn. Pretty sure I was doing everything right; outside foot in the down position on the pedal, leaning into it, etc... I felt the bike start to slide out and instinctively my left foot shot out and to the ground. (Before anyone goes after me for destroying trail, just know that I wasn't purposefully trying to skid and the trail was covered with newly fallen leaves.) It kind of jolted my leg as I made contact with the ground and my femur/hip joint is still hurting a couple days later.

Should I have not shot out my foot so quickly or already had it out just in case? Or does this just happen sometimes? Is there something I should work on as far as where I'm putting my upper body weight? I've only been riding for a couple years so coming into turns fast enough for something like this to happen is new for me. Thanks in advance for any advice. :thumbsup:
Some good tips here...

3 Steps to Faster Corners - Pinkbike

Cornering Basics with James Wilson Video - Pinkbike

How To: Cornering and Straight Line - Pinkbike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.