Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cornering technique - need advice

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  DudeNudem 
I took a DH lesson at Whistler this summer. My instructor + 2 others that I spoke to recommended keeping the pedals level during a corner vs. dropping the outside pedal. I'd been dropping the outside pedal since reading the Lopes book. The thought is that putting the majority of the weight on the outside pedal makes it more difficult to get the bike leaned over & complicates setting up for the corner.

YMMV, but I've been cornering with my pedals level since the lesson & feel it helps.

By the way, not suggesting that your pedal position had anything to do with your slide-out, just seemed like an appropriate thread to mention this.
Yes, this.

IMO, inside foot down off the pedal or just outside pedal down is only for slow braking switchbacks and sketchy slow gravely drop outs, or naturally recovering from a mistake like you experienced. Layers of leaves are treacherous, and no place to push the limits.

What? Lopes said drop the outside pedal ....like a roadie with no tire patch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.