Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cornering technique - need advice

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  DudeNudem 
I took a DH lesson at Whistler this summer. My instructor + 2 others that I spoke to recommended keeping the pedals level during a corner vs. dropping the outside pedal. I'd been dropping the outside pedal since reading the Lopes book. The thought is that putting the majority of the weight on the outside pedal makes it more difficult to get the bike leaned over & complicates setting up for the corner.

YMMV, but I've been cornering with my pedals level since the lesson & feel it helps.

By the way, not suggesting that your pedal position had anything to do with your slide-out, just seemed like an appropriate thread to mention this.
interesting. I use both techniques, depending on what feels right for the situation. I do the pedal down technique more often on my commuter, which has a short wheelbase and has a bit of toe overlap. I don't feel comfortable going pedals-level with my inside foot forward into a turn at speed to avoid the toe overlap problem, so I drop the outside pedal so I can keep my right foot out of the way.

on my mtb, I'm usually pedals-level.

shiggy said:
The other reason to remove leaves is they hold water when they break down. The added moisture can soften the tread and allow ruts and erosion to form.
That is true. though I treat that situation as a case-by-case basis doing spot removal in locations where the leaves would otherwise collect and cause that problem. I am not a fan of wholesale leaf removal on miles of trail in an entire system.

Shiggy nails it. Newly fallen leaves are treacherous. Wet leaves are like marbles. Slow down.

Some trail stewards like to rake the leaves because of this. I say screw that. The leaves will break down on their own if people ride on them. I only rake if route finding becomes difficult because of deep leaves. And even then, only enough to find the trail. Leaves are like rocks and roots-part of the trail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.