Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cornering technique - need advice

5K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  DudeNudem 
During last Sunday's ride I was coming pretty fast into a left turn. Pretty sure I was doing everything right; outside foot in the down position on the pedal, leaning into it, etc... I felt the bike start to slide out and instinctively my left foot shot out and to the ground. (Before anyone goes after me for destroying trail, just know that I wasn't purposefully trying to skid and the trail was covered with newly fallen leaves.) It kind of jolted my leg as I made contact with the ground and my femur/hip joint is still hurting a couple days later.

Should I have not shot out my foot so quickly or already had it out just in case? Or does this just happen sometimes? Is there something I should work on as far as where I'm putting my upper body weight? I've only been riding for a couple years so coming into turns fast enough for something like this to happen is new for me. Thanks in advance for any advice. :thumbsup:
You were moving too fast for the conditions (the leaf cover). Nothing more.

Shiggy nails it. Newly fallen leaves are treacherous. Wet leaves are like marbles. Slow down.

Some trail stewards like to rake the leaves because of this. I say screw that. The leaves will break down on their own if people ride on them. I only rake if route finding becomes difficult because of deep leaves. And even then, only enough to find the trail. Leaves are like rocks and roots-part of the trail
The other reason to remove leaves is they hold water when they break down. The added moisture can soften the tread and allow ruts and erosion to form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.