Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rode out from our home in Gravenhurst, doing the Hahne Farm/Cornell Lake Ride. This is about 17K out and back, a highlight of which is the swim in Cornell Lake.
Also this is my very first outing with my DSLR. Just got it; finally made the upgrade from P&S going with Pentax K20D and a DA* 16-50mm zoom lens, both of which
are fully weather sealed. This is a big feature for me since we are also into canoe tripping/backcountry camping. This will take some adjustments in shooting style,
and I haven't read the manual yet!! I also opted for the Kata 212 torso sling bag. This puts the camera high on my chest and I can get the camera out and squeeze
of a shot just as quick as I can get the P&S out of a pocket. Quicker in fact. That's a big issue for me, 'cause if I have to fiddle around getting a camera out of a pack,
it isn't going to happen. And I can still wear my hydration pack on my back. I'm pretty happy riding with this setup...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
BUMP!

Only 79 views, and no responses? There is even a female sunbathing!

Sometimes it kind of bothers me that great picture posts fall to the bottom of Passion so quickly, while rants about crappy LBSs and couriers get 50+ replies, and stay at the top.

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,028 Posts
Where is this area? The only cornell lake i can find is in Wisconsin. The pictures are amazing and the area looks amazing!!!! I really want to go for a ride there, can anyone provide a link for these trails?

·
Exaggerated member
351 Posts
Gorgeous! This surpasses all those rants about UPS, LBS and acronyms in general. Incidentally those discussions should be in the GENERAL discussion forum and not the Passion forum.

I need to do some homework and capture some images riding in the Australian winter sunshine and upload them. I spend too much time on the VRC forum. Arrgh!

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
alexk said:
Gorgeous! This surpasses all those rants about UPS, LBS and acronyms in general. Incidentally those discussions should be in the GENERAL discussion forum and not the Passion forum.

I need to do some homework and capture some images riding in the Australian winter sunshine and upload them. I spend too much time on the VRC forum. Arrgh!
Why yes, you *should* post some pics of your riding in Australia. :)

The Passion forum seems a bit of a mess lately, but I don't have anything specific to say about any of those rants, as I don't read them. However, I'm a little perplexed about the approach to moving threads to the vacation forum, as it seems a bit spotty. Perhaps after moving lots of good Passion threads, someone realized that a good number of the posts on that forum are from rides done away from home? Hmm...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What a beautiful set of pics. Midride swims are a great treat.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
jelliott said:
I will probably be in the Gravenhurst area in a couple of weeks. Can you give directions to the trailhead from the Highway 11 exit on the south side of town. Thanx.
When you come off the Hwy the trailhead is about 200 yds ahead on right, across from MacDonald's. You can park in the little plaza there right by the Parkette. Ride this trail which starts out along the ridge until you come to the hwy crossing at Pinedale Rd/Hewitt St. After you cross 4 lane hwy to east side , you will immediately see a small dirt road/trail running south parallel to hwy. Follow this south about 200 yds or so, then trail veers away from hwy to east. The beginning will have some puddles to walk around and blow downs, but all in just 1st few hundred yards.This forest trail opens up to granite ridges and outcrop riding with short drops/climbs, semi-technical & very fun. Scenery is great as you can see from pics, with some streams and views of Jevins Lake. Follow strategically placed stone cairns, might have to hunt for the trail at times, but no worries. Follow this in until you come to the Pipeline Rd, turn right (south) onto this road for about 100 yds, trail leaves rd and runs east again. If you come to top of hill and see Cornell Lake at bottom of hill beside rd, you have gone a bit too far. trail can be hard to follow at this point as its hardly used. but you cannot get seriously lost. Explore the Road too if you wish. Anyway, follow trail east until you come out on a point I called swim spot. Enjoy, the water is nice and clean and warm too! Bring bug spray for sure, deer flies can be nasty on the way in at times. Once you are at the lake they will vanish after a few minutes ( trust me) and you will be in heaven. The route below is "'hand drawn" so just a rough guide. I should have taken my GPS and done a proper track. Next time I will. BTW, probably don't need swim suits, shouldn't be anyone around ((-8.

·
...from parts unknown
100 Posts
Much appreciated. Our local trails (Sarnia area) are a mess with all the storms and rain lately. Hopefully the clay will dry out some and we can get them cleaned up in the next week or so. Haven't had a serious mountain bike ride yet this year - lots of road riding though.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hollis said:
a fellow Pentaxian hi :cornut:
Nice shots!

Dont forget to post a review of your photo gear over here

http://www.photographyreview.com/
Thanks,will do. Lovin' the camera so far. The Kata 212 torso bag works great for riding too!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Kata 212. I run a Lowepro TLZ25/chest strap combo to get it on my chest, but think the Kata might be better than them all. Is there enough room in the K20D) and a slightly bigger lens (Nikon 18-200mm)?

You posted up some really nice photos with it. I'm starting to hanker for a bit of Canadian riding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.