Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving through Cordelia tonight the whole hillside ridge north of Cordelia was blazing big time. Wondering if Rockville or Skyline in Napa are threatened.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fiona said:
The only thing I found was on this site. http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=277
"More than 500 fires sparked by lightning storms are burning in California from Santa Cruz to the Oregon Border." Wow, that's a lot of fires.

Fiona
That incident report breaks them down by area now, guess this is the one I saw

Sonoma-Lake-Napa Unit: 5 fires with 4 contained and one burning near Napa West of Fairfield at 300 acres.

3000 acres now
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=281

Map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112138731507917869161.0004503ad8eefcbc6d7ef&ll=38.321996,-122.084541&spn=0.13656,0.299377&z=12

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
I just pulled a driveby, and the park is fine. The fire is considerably further north, looks like it might be in the Berryessa area. There's a ton of smoke in the air around there but the parking lot was still full of cars.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Jesues H. Christ!

Fiona said:
"More than 500 fires sparked by lightning storms are burning in California from Santa Cruz to the Oregon Border." Wow, that's a lot of fires.

Fiona
It's not even July yet! It's going to be even scarier when the sierra's dry out. It's not even fire season up there yet. Good lord...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got in the park from 4:30 till 6:30...You could see the smoke and the CDF doing their thing. The fire is 30% contained. The wind was blowing hard and there was no smoke in the park, but It's just a matter of time. I hope the fokls that live on Geen Valley road will be ok...:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think Cal Fire is staging at Lagoon Valley. Saw the CHP helo landing and taking off from there. There were a couple dozen engines, lots of civilian cars (maybe firefighters?), and lots of water tankers. The whole valley was filled with smoke. I guess I should have went to Rockville!

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
We saw the fire in Napa last night while driving though China Camp about 10pm. Looks like it's north of Skyline and Rockville. The fire in Napa/Solano is called the Wild Fire and is noted as WILD in the photo.

-slide

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
gobike said:
It's not even July yet! It's going to be even scarier when the sierra's dry out. It's not even fire season up there yet. Good lord...
It won't be long until all 4 seasons are the fire season. :madmax: <------- even that dude's on fire.

fp

·
Registered
495 Posts
containment

The word this AM is that they are starting to contain the fire that's getting the Green Valley (tell that to the people over there! :eekster: ) Here in Napa, it doesn't look like Skyline will be affected but it's hazy and smokey as hell in the valley. I hope they get a handle on it quickly and that everyone is ok. Strangely, on Saturday AM, my wife and I rode Dry Creek road. We stopped in the shade at the fire station at the top and overheard the captain telling some of his guys that they were moving out ASAP because fires had lit up near Humboldt. I actually thought in that moment that I really hope something bad doesn't happen in Napa as soon as they leave. They left a few minutes later and passed us on the road. Sure enough, later that afternoon the fire breaks out. It mentioned in the paper on Sunday that efforts to fight the fire were complicated because so many firefighters had left for Humboldt or had already been in the Santa Cruz fray. Talk about a brutal summer.

On a side note, we went to the Napa Grand Prix on Saturday (cool, new road race). As the Pros were starting downtown at about 4:00 you could see the Green Valley fire starting on the horizion. It was somewhat surreal but the race seemed to be a success.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We watched the fire from our house on Saturday right when it started through the night and all day yesterday. As long as the wind remains blowing from west to the east Rockville will not be affected other than by the smoke. I can see the hills and powerlines in Rockville from my house in the Cordelia area.

Yesterday the CDF DC-10 flew out of Travis, over my house, circled the fire about 4-5 times, each time getting lower and lower. You could tell they were talking to ground crews because of the angle of the turn and where they had to be looking, setting up for the bomb run. Then it headed out over Napa and came back around low. And I mean LOW and dropped a load of retardant. For a plane that big to be that low over hilling terrain was an amazing sight to watch. Then it did it again. They knocked the fire down pretty good but it flared back up in the afternoon.

This morning without the afternoon wind the smoke was everywhere but the wife says that the air is clearing out but she can still see the fires from the kitchen window.

The park is safe for now.

We should all hug a fireman. CDF is stretched very thin and we have a LONG way to go till winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.