Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a camping/biking trip to Coopers Rock in the middle of August and was wondering if anyone has camped out there before and might suggest some decent sites to reserve. Probably going to have 4-8 people on 2 or 3 sites. Ride suggestions are also welcome.

thanks!

jon

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
jcaino said:
Planning a camping/biking trip to Coopers Rock in the middle of August and was wondering if anyone has camped out there before and might suggest some decent sites to reserve. Probably going to have 4-8 people on 2 or 3 sites. Ride suggestions are also welcome.

thanks!

jon
Sandsprings. Ask for Judy. Tell her Brian the mountian biker guy said to call. Take quarters for the showers.

http://www.sandspringscampground.com/

Get a map of Coopers and have fun. Heard the WVU forest trails need work though so I didn't hit them last time I was up there.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
At one time there was a rustic cabin that could be rented near the sand springs camp ground if you have the money and want indoor accomodations.

It's been years, but there was good riding on the Chestnut Ridge side of the highway (the sandsprings side). You can take Ken's Run trail to Hemlock until you cross a gas line, then run the gas lines back to the top (pretty fun stuff). To lengthen the ride, park at the bottom of the mountain at a church at the base of Darnell Hollow. Climb Darnell Hollow - gravel road - to the lake at the top, then hit Ken's, Hemlock, Gas Line, then bomb Sand Springs Road to the bottom (Sand Springs road used to be pretty fun even though it is a road. It was rutty as hell and fast). However, there has been some logging in that area since I rode there. Ask someone at the camp ground

Of course, Coopers is good too. Try Scotts Run riding towards the lake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.