Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to a company that sells holsters/carriers for people that have conceal and carry permits for handguns and want to carry while performing rigorous physical activities like running, cycling, and hiking.

I don't typically "pack heat" when I ride, but I've been looking for something that I could use to take a firearm with me on remote backcountry rides. I love mine. It's very comfortable and works incredibly well. I just thought I'd pass on the info, since I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

http://www.pistolwear.com/

The website has a short video clip which shows it being used on a mountain bike.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am sure a there will be a lot of back and forth about why a person should or shouldn't carry a gun when riding. I have a friend that goes riding in mountain lion territory by herself from time to time and will carry a gun. Even in a "holster" like that, if a big kitty decides it's going to attack you, you're screwed way before you can get it out of the holster, but it makes her feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Its an awesome design concept. Which fills a niche that needed to be filled. Whether or not you carry a gun on a daily basis, hate guns, or looking for something along these lines. You have to give the guy props for its design. The only downfall I see is removing the weapon. the guy only used two fingers. I'm sure that you can adjust the tension on the belt at the risk of slight gun movement.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disclaimer

This reply is for TimT. PistolWear is not my company, but something that I thought was a cool innovation and something that I personally own and find useful. I'm a long-time "lurker" of MTBR, but was excited enough about my new holster, that I had to re-register with MTBR (forgot my old ID and password) and share my new find. I thought that the "New Products and Innovations" category would be the appropriate place to share info like this. I know that I personally have learned about many cool new bike products here. I'm just not much when it comes to posting.
As far as your doubts about my riding credentials, I'm not a pro mountain biker, but I've been riding seriously for about 14 years, all over the US and Hawaii. I've done some amateur racing in the past, but most of my riding is recreational trail riding. My two favorite types of trails are rough and technical or fast and roller-coaster. I've owned dozens of mountain bikes over the years, but my two current mountain bikes suit the type of riding I like, really well. My technical bike is a Kona Dawg Deluxe with a Fox F120 fork and Fox RP2 shock which gives it a pretty balanced 5" travel front and rear. My fav bike for fast, flowing trails is my Redline Monocog 29er, fully rigid steel frame.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Team Fubar Rider said:
I am sure a there will be a lot of back and forth about why a person should or shouldn't carry a gun when riding. I have a friend that goes riding in mountain lion territory by herself from time to time and will carry a gun. Even in a "holster" like that, if a big kitty decides it's going to attack you, you're screwed way before you can get it out of the holster, but it makes her feel more comfortable.
12 years ago or so a hiker got attacked by a mountain lion here in SoCal... according to the guy he was fighting it off decently well untill it took off his thumb- and then he thought "OK I am in real trouble" he picks up a rock and beats the thing to death. Hikes out- lives to tell the tale and then promptly got sued by PETA- who eventually dropped the case. Oh he was cut up bad form the claws but he never gave up... even when PETA came knocking on the door he beat them off as well.

Its not big kitty you have to worry about its PETA.

·
Registered
385 Posts
mojojojoaf said:
12 years ago or so a hiker got attacked by a mountain lion here in SoCal... according to the guy he was fighting it off decently well untill it took off his thumb- and then he thought "OK I am in real trouble" he picks up a rock and beats the thing to death. Hikes out- lives to tell the tale and then promptly got sued by PETA- who eventually dropped the case. Oh he was cut up bad form the claws but he never gave up... even when PETA came knocking on the door he beat them off as well.

Its not big kitty you have to worry about its PETA.
Hahaha you just made my day :p

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Team Fubar Rider said:
Where do people get the idea that you are just going to roll up and allow a big cat to eat you?? Just squeezing off a shot "may" give you a chance. I know where we ride there are a lot of wild hogs all over the place and you don't want to tangle with one of those.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm hesitant to reply to this thread because of how out of control they get....

Anyways, how does it actually work, where does the gun go? I can't figure it out, but maybe because I haven't had my coffee yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have a few comments as well and agree dascro they do get a little out of control. For now I think we just avoid the trails they ride and stay safe. Mountain biking is dangerous enough adding a gun toting rider out there, yeah like that is needed.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
I just did some quick research and it looks like there are about 0.8 mountain lion induced fatalities in the US and Canada per year, but about 54 people killed by lightning in the US alone.

Does anyone make a holster for concealed carry of a lightning rod?

·
Clydesdale 29er
189 Posts
:cool:
mtb143 said:
I just did some quick research and it looks like there are about 0.8 mountain lion induced fatalities in the US and Canada per year, but about 54 people killed by lightning in the US alone.

Does anyone make a holster for concealed carry of a lightning rod?
Wouldn't a pistol be a lightning rod?

When I fly fish in bear country I carry my 44 S&W but only two rounds are required. If the
first doesn't scare the bear the second is for me because no bear is going to eat me alive.
PETA would no doubt be pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Baine said:
When I fly fish in bear country I carry my 44 S&W but only two rounds are required. If the
first doesn't scare the bear the second is for me because no bear is going to eat me alive.
PETA would no doubt be pleased with the outcome.
This post is massively stupid...

·
Registered
33 Posts
im a member of many forums... and while i might be flamed for it there's alot of miss education and "bent statistics" that play apart of this love hate relationship with the gun. everyone is opinionated, everyone is an expert, noone is right that argues about it. i ride, i carry. like it or not there are those of us out there that are not mall ninjas or urban commandos... just your average everyday run of the mill people that exercise their rights lawfully on a day to day basis to protect themselves and others against forcible felony. some are trained, some just took that basic class and that was it. some have more training then the law enforcement that is meant to protect them, but fails by having an average response time of a dominos large peperoni on a friday night. its not their fault, its hard for an underbudget department to hire enough officers to be everywhere at once. this is the situation of almost any major city.

and yes.. im sure riding with a bunch of people on a well traveled trail during the day most likely wont require heavy artillery, just some water and energy bars. most wildlife will run from you to start with and all of the "honest criminals " will obey the dawn to dusk courtesy or not trying to take your stuff at gunpoint during daylight hours. BUT, urban recreation areas at night in some cities have their own crime statistics by themselves. not everyone has time during the day to ride and there is just some situations that waving a frame pump in the air and screaming like a crazy person wont get you out of. some off the charted map adventures could lead u into god knows what... yeah, u might be able to out pedal the animal trying to eat you but it doesn't always work that way . what if u take a spill and break some major bones on a solo ride. alone and badly injured can u pedal back? will the now broken cell phone in your day pack get signal or have enough battery to make a call or will the international signal of 3 be the only thing that can possibly save your life... 3 whistle blows, or 3 camp fires, or even 3 gunshots...

im not here to argue facts and fictions... i stay open minded to both sides of the argument. and while this is the most i have contributed to a discussion on this forum i generally stay out of the politics/ religion/ and gun talks unless the forum is based on those things. all i can hope is maybe it shined a different light on the same old fight.. this is all i have to say on this subject. nice find on the holster, im sure there are a few guys back at the other forums that will thank you. you guys fight nicely now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.