Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not like it really gets that cold here where I am in Texas, but riding in sub 50's temps does kinda bite. Looking at getting some leg, arm warmers, full finger gloves and a skull cap. Other then that, my normal riding gear is just shorts and a cotton t-shirt. I'm not all into the riding shorts/jersey thing. Tried a pair of bike shorts and just could not get situated in them. Any other ideas as to what I should get?

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
mid 50s huh
sounds like a sumer evening here in New Hampshire
the cap might be all you need. maybe a windbreaker with removable sleeves , Pearl Izumi makes one that folds up into itself so you can keep it in your pack. As far as the shorts, you might want to try several different brands and styles. Once you find the right ones they really help you ride longer because of the sweat removal and lack of seams where you sit. I'm not crazy about the lycra bike panties looks, but on a hot day there's nothing better. Maybe you could compromise and where them under your baggies. By the way ,bike shorts are not meant to be worn with underwear.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actully never had an problems with seams and had no problems with 10-15 mile rides (thats about the point my body says i'm done right now). Yeah, no underwear with the bike shorts. I just use like workout type shorts and such for my riding now.. loose fitting and all. i'm just not really keen on the tight stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ditch the cotton...

I'd recommend something other than a cotton shirt. Doesn't have to be a jersey either. I have cool max t-shirts (long and shortsleeve) and a turtle neck that I wear skiing that also work for riding. Cotton will just absorb your sweat and keep it close to your skin, that might be why you are getting cold as the temperature goes down.

If you ride singletrack with bushes, prickers, and all those other nice things you might want to consider leg guards. I have a pair from 661 that keep my legs warm into the 20s. Might keep me warm at lower temps, but it hasn't gotten that cold yet.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Nocturnus said:
Not like it really gets that cold here where I am in Texas, but riding in sub 50's temps does kinda bite. Looking at getting some leg, arm warmers, full finger gloves and a skull cap. Other then that, my normal riding gear is just shorts and a cotton t-shirt. I'm not all into the riding shorts/jersey thing. Tried a pair of bike shorts and just could not get situated in them. Any other ideas as to what I should get?
you need layers for riding in cool / cold weather. a base layer next to your skin to wick sweat away (coolmax, wool, other synthetics. NO COTTON), an insulation layer (whatever you got, wool and synthetic blends work. some cotton in the blend isn't too bad), and a protective shell to keep the wind / rain / snow out. windproof pants or tights and warm socks are a must, as are windproof gloves that fit well and aren't too bulky. i find i don't need anything on my head until it gets colder than 35 F. your ears will freeze (not literally) at those temps, but you warm up in 15 minutes or so. i just put my hood on and warm up, then take it off and put my helmet on. of course wind and sun can alter that; you may want a headband on windier days. you should start off slightly cold and then warm up. if you're warm, you'll get too hot. if you're cold cold, turn around and put on something warmer. a lot of it is trial and error. icebike has some tips that may be worth reading.

at 50+, all you may need are some sweatpants and a long-sleeve shirt with a sheet of newspaper down the front to block any wind / cool air.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nocturnus said:
I've actully never had an problems with seams and had no problems with 10-15 mile rides (thats about the point my body says i'm done right now). Yeah, no underwear with the bike shorts. I just use like workout type shorts and such for my riding now.. loose fitting and all. i'm just not really keen on the tight stuff.
I ride with Ground Effect short - I'm not into the Lycra myself. They've got padding, mesh inner, and you won't look like a roadie. Might be some interesting stuff there for keeping warm too.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=DOU&category=SHO

There's lots of good technical fabrics out there, but a fine Merino wool t-shirt really well, for layer 1 and maybe 2. I think there's some similar silk-blend fabrics out now too.

http://www.icebreaker.co.nz/our-clothing/ChooseLayer.aspx
http://www.silkbody.co.nz/products.html

Like Cyco-Dude says, it's all about layers and keeping it breathable.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Nocturnus said:
man I was thinking the high 60's here in Cali

·
Registered
559 Posts
try baggy riding shorts

Try baggy riding shorts. They have a mesh underneath then a baggy layer on top of that. That way you don't have to wear ass tight gear. Well you do but nobodys knows about it. You can also attach knee warmers on them as well.

GOAT
Nocturnus said:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts