Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 26" cruiser that was given to the shop where I work. It has cook handlebars, stem and seatpost. The owner had put gears on it so I don't think the cranks are original.

I think the frame is a Cook Bros. but it doesn't have the mid-frame tube. It does, however, have the curved seat/chainstays and horizontal dropouts. Unfortunately the frame has been repainted so i can't confirm its origin. I emailed the new Cook Bros. but haven't heard back and it's been over a month so I don't think they'll ever respond. Here are some pictures. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
TheRedMantra said:
Eh, I have no idea, but I am sure someone else will. Do you think you can post some pics of the other goodies though?
Here are some pics of the parts. As it turns out only the bars have the cook bros. logo but the seatpost resembles the one in the vintage catalog on their site. The stem has Pro Neck II on it. Can't remember who made those right now but I'm sure I'll feel stupid when someone reminds me. Sorry the second pic is a little blurry that's the best I could get it to come out, you can still read the logo pretty weill though.

Oh, and I'm also looking for some early to mid nineties cantis and matching levers possible. Machine Tech, Hershey, Onza H.O., or anything similar. V's would be cool too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Cook Bros Diamond Frame....

Cook Bros did build some non-cruiser frames back in the early 80's I've only seen one in person back in 84.They are very rare! If my memory serves me right (and sometimes it fails miserably!!) that does look like one of those frames. After they sold the company I think they built some other frames but they didn't have the curved chain stays like that frame. Whats the serial # on it? I think it will include the year in that number. should be on the rear dropout.

The forks look like Landing Gears though....

I would find some original forks and build it up!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The number on the dropout is 71 that's all I can find. If there are more numbers they are covered by the paint.

The fork probably is a landing gear from the research I've done since my first post.

I do plan to build this frame up with some original parts if I can find them at a good price. My next question is... Should I have it repainted? The paint job on it doesn't look original and has some chips and runs. It also has some rust which I'd like to flush out and then use some frame saver to try to prevent any further corrosion.

crconsulting said:
Cook Bros did build some non-cruiser frames back in the early 80's I've only seen one in person back in 84.They are very rare! If my memory serves me right (and sometimes it fails miserably!!) that does look like one of those frames. After they sold the company I think they built some other frames but they didn't have the curved chain stays like that frame. Whats the serial # on it? I think it will include the year in that number. should be on the rear dropout.

The forks look like Landing Gears though....

I would find some original forks and build it up!!!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
RE:Cook Bros Diamond Frame....

Normally they were nickel plated unless requested otherwise. I ordered mine in black.

Get a traditional cruiser fork on that thing. Tange or other 26in cruier fork if you can't find an original cook bros fork.

I saw an original NOS CB one on ebay a while back, i think it went for $200-$250 I see CB stems all the time but theyre not cheap. But, if you get the right parts on that bike and restore it, you should be able to get every penny out of it if you resell it.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wheels

Bigwheel said:
Jack Witmer would know, you can probably get ahold of him throught the website. http://www.cookbros.com/

If you get to restoring that I have the set of wheels for it.....
I am definitely going to restore it. What's the info on the wheels? I don't know when I'm looking to start tis project but hopefully I'll get to it soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.