Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I'm unable to tighten this crank/bb with just the lock ring I have for it (it gets to a point where it's almost tight and then just spins). One of my local shops suggested I was missing a bushing but couldn't tell me any more about it. Any ideas? I want to ride this thing before it snows! Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flophouse said:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I'm unable to tighten this crank/bb with just the lock ring I have for it (it gets to a point where it's almost tight and then just spins). One of my local shops suggested I was missing a bushing but couldn't tell me any more about it. Any ideas? I want to ride this thing before it snows! Thanks for any advice you can provide.
its hard to tell from the photo, I am pretty sure you wont be able to use those cranks with that bottom bracket....again, I cant really tell but you might be better off using a 3 pc crank with that set-up. Do you have a photo of the hardware you are using?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,733 Posts
Yes, you either need some sort of bushing to take up the space between the crank arm and bearing...on both sides.

Or you need a crank that fits in the BB bearings.

·
Gamers local 2112
942 Posts
you've got a three piece sealed bearing set that takes a splined spindle and a one piece crank. not compatable with each other in fact they are two different systems. just use a standard one piece bb and you should be fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello Flophouse,
Its hard to tell from your picture whether the bearings are in your frame with cups or without cups. My bottom bracket, pictured above, has larger bearings than the Tioga in the auction. The Tioga uses cups which press into the bb shell, then the bearings go in. My bb bearings don't use cups and press straight into the shell. Otherwise they are very similar. The pieces which go into the bearing may be interchangeable.
Chris

·
Registered
936 Posts
rev106 said:
you've got a three piece sealed bearing set that takes a splined spindle and a one piece crank. not compatable with each other in fact they are two different systems. just use a standard one piece bb and you should be fine.
It looks to me to be a sealed bearing system for a one piece crank because of the gap. If that was for a 3 piece set, you would not be able to get a one piece crank through it I believe.

·
Gamers local 2112
942 Posts
It looks like a contemporary 3 piece bearing, they are larger in diameter than a one piece crank, so in theory you could get a bearing on there. Regardless, whatever he's got going on there does not work so the simple solution is to ditch the old bb for a standard one peice crank deal, a cheap fix should cost around 10 bucks.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
As these other guys have said, you've got the wrong cranks for that BB (or vice versa).

One piece cranks (like the ones you have) use cup and cone style bearings, like shimano hubs. The cups press into the BB, the crank snakes through, the bearing cap and locknut on the non-drive side are threaded against each other and holds it all together.

The three piece cranks (the ones you don't have) use a 3/4" (19.05mm) or 22mm axle supported on sealed cartridge bearings pressed into the BB shell. You have this BB and bearings, but not the cranks.
The splined crank axle slips through and uses spacers either side then the cranks just slide on and bolt up.

A BB to fit your one piece cranks will be very cheap, any bike shop should have them. Cranks to fit your existing BB won't be cheap.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sealed Bearings with One Piece Cranks

I use this sealed type with a one piece crank. I think that is what you have, but it doesn't matter anyway since you are missing the piece that holds the bearing in. If you like sealed bearings, check the link I posted earlier. It is a sealed bearing system for 1 piece cranks., $40. As you can see in the pic, the piece that the bearings ride on threads onto the crank. These work great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Flophouse. The time is now to show a few more pics of your Cook Bros project. Say something more than just the bottom bracket.:)

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dougal said:
What size is the bearing you've got there Scotty? Is it one of the BMX specials, a standard size or something really weird?
It says 6005RS on it. I don't know much about bearings, so I don't know if that is the size. I think it was intended for bmx. I think they are pretty standard. I see them on ebay all the time.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
It says 6005RS on it. I don't know much about bearings, so I don't know if that is the size. I think it was intended for bmx. I think they are pretty standard. I see them on ebay all the time.
Cheers, looks like a standard bearing size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice! The info that Scotty posted seems to be on the money.

Here's where the build stands. I just had the fork re-chromed. Once I get the BB sorted out I'll put the rest of it together. The wheels are NOS Arayas with Bullseye hubs (black and white). It's getting Cook Bros cruiser bars, slant stem and laid back seat post, all of which I've held onto for about ten years. It's also getting Mafac tandem cantis, Tomaselli levers and red Snakebelly tires. The Phil spider (and crank/BB) came with the frame so I was hoping to use them.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
The bottom bracket that I showed earlier came out of my red Pro Cruiser, it had Ashtabula cromo one piece cranks with a Phil spider also. Since the Pro Cruiser has a five speed rear end, I put on TA triple cranks with a Cooks bb.
Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts