Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are upgrading my wife's bike for racing and riding in the 2010 season and I would like to convince her to give tubeless a try. She is pretty stubborn though, and she has seen me struggle to mount and (with less trouble) seal UST tires and she wants none of it.

Yet she favors durability and grippy tires which tubeless systems offer and she has seen with her own eyes that I have only gotten two flats in the past 3 years of riding tubeless. So I might be able to push her over the edge.

So, if I can put a Stans kit on her Velocity Aerohead rims and get some tubeless ready tires to go with it, can I PROMISE her that she will have no problems with the system? I hear that the Stan's sealant solidifies after a month or two. Are there other brands that would last the whole riding season before needing to be replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
FishMan473 said:
We are upgrading my wife's bike for racing and riding in the 2010 season and I would like to convince her to give tubeless a try. She is pretty stubborn though, and she has seen me struggle to mount and (with less trouble) seal UST tires and she wants none of it.

Yet she favors durability and grippy tires which tubeless systems offer and she has seen with her own eyes that I have only gotten two flats in the past 3 years of riding tubeless. So I might be able to push her over the edge.

So, if I can put a Stans kit on her Velocity Aerohead rims and get some tubeless ready tires to go with it, can I PROMISE her that she will have no problems with the system? I hear that the Stan's sealant solidifies after a month or two. Are there other brands that would last the whole riding season before needing to be replaced?
Stan's will last many months in cooler climates. Here in Tucson with a bike stored in a 100 degree garage it is only good for 2 months. Cooler temps double, or triple the life of sealant.
 

·
Stay thirsty my friends
Joined
·
885 Posts
Once you go Stans baby you won't go back, make sure you use the Stans rimstrip and give the tire a few days to seal up. Stans stays fluid for years and doesn't dry out, I just pulled my hardtail tires off today to put on my winter tires and the Stans was three years old and still fine...I used what was left in the tire for the next set plus a cup of new stuff just to top it off.

My buddy prefers real UST tires because they have stiffer sidewalls and he has a point, I run slightly higher pressures to compensate for the more flexible sidewalls of conventional tires with Stans...I think the ideal setup is UST rims with UST tires and a cup of Stans but its costly and heavier than a regular tire with Stans.

Both have pluses and minuses, I think a heavier rider would be better served with a UST tire and rim with Stans and a lighter rider better served with a regular tire and Stans. You have to try both to see what you prefer.
 

·
viva la v-brakes!
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to set her bike up lighter for racing, but also durable enough for all-around use. I have been running full UST for 3 years now, and other than some extra effort installing tires by hand its been totally bombproof. The sealant would be completely unnecessary, I have some older tires with holes in them but they take several days to go flat, so I just pump them up before each ride. Unfortunately the system is really heavy, I could live with the tire weight (not much more extra than a tube), but the Mavic 819 rims are 505 grams each. That's over 1/2 pound more on the wheelset compared to Stans ZTR 355's, which cost about the same.... anyway...

She has Velocity rims... I guess I just need some additional "facts" to point out to her how much easier a Stans/Tubeless ready set-up would be for her, so it is not just me "pressuring" her into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
I'm a pretty big guy that rides hard, and as such I don't recommend the rim strips due to personal experience. But smaller people that don't hit as hard seem to have good luck with it. Get your wife to try it during the off-season, she'll like the change IMO. A non-UST tire will require more pressure, but the benefits will still be there.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
or leave her alone and let her do what she wants. You want her to be happy or obedient?
you gave her your advise, she's seen how it works for you and she doesnt want to do it
If she wanted you to switch to tubes would you?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I am trying to set her bike up lighter for racing, but also durable enough for all-around use. I have been running full UST for 3 years now, and other than some extra effort installing tires by hand its been totally bombproof. The sealant would be completely unnecessary, I have some older tires with holes in them but they take several days to go flat, so I just pump them up before each ride. Unfortunately the system is really heavy, I could live with the tire weight (not much more extra than a tube), but the Mavic 819 rims are 505 grams each. That's over 1/2 pound more on the wheelset compared to Stans ZTR 355's, which cost about the same.... anyway...

She has Velocity rims... I guess I just need some additional "facts" to point out to her how much easier a Stans/Tubeless ready set-up would be for her, so it is not just me "pressuring" her into it.
There is no guaranty that "converting" her wheelset with the tires she likes will be easy or reliable. Not all standard tires and rims take to not being used as designed.

No guaranty it will be lighter, either. Rim strips and sealant can weigh as much as an inner tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,033 Posts
dan0 said:
or leave her alone and let her do what she wants. You want her to be happy or obedient?
you gave her your advise, she's seen how it works for you and she doesnt want to do it
If she wanted you to switch to tubes would you?
yeah man, let her do her thing. if my girlfriend wanted to fill her tires with sand, ill probably help her look for a shovel :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
If I were responsible for the maintenance of her bike and I wanted it tubeless I would convert it. If she is taking care of her own gear butt out. Likewise if she can change her own tube during a race and get back in action butt out, the first time she tears a tubeless tire in a race and has to deal with it your butt is toast even if it is just installing a tube and moving on.
 

·
Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Jay04cobra said:
A non-UST tire will require more pressure, but the benefits will still be there.
What? I've never heard of anyone running a Stan's kit on non UST tire saying that they use higher tire pressure because of it. Personally, I go for 20psi.

My advice to the OP is to let her watch the Stan's video a couple of times and try it herself a few times so that she really understands how it works and how to do it. Just like anything else, there's a learning curve, but it's not really that bad unless you've got a tire that's crazy hard to get on the rim- which is a PITA whether you're tubeless or not (personally, I'd rather NOT be using a tube in that case).
 

·
viva la v-brakes!
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the end its her choice. I do a lot of maintenance on her bike, but she does the basics; flat repairs and drivetrain cleaning. She can do more complicated work like brake tuning, but I am more efficient at it so I take care of that for her. I would definitely do the initial set-up for her... I dunno, if she doesn't like it, its easy enough to just put tubes back in there and no harm done.

I kind of feel like faster rolling, lower maintenance and slightly lighter tires is a no-brainer, but its the wrestling match to install them initially and the exploding tires that turns here off.

SHhh! She's here now, lets see what she says.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
FishMan473 said:
In the end its her choice. I do a lot of maintenance on her bike, but she does the basics; flat repairs and drivetrain cleaning. She can do more complicated work like brake tuning, but I am more efficient at it so I take care of that for her. I would definitely do the initial set-up for her... I dunno, if she doesn't like it, its easy enough to just put tubes back in there and no harm done.

I kind of feel like faster rolling, lower maintenance and slightly lighter tires is a no-brainer, but its the wrestling match to install them initially and the exploding tires that turns here off.

SHhh! She's here now, lets see what she says.
I suggest a cheap and easy trial.

Do a split-tube "ghetto conversion" using her favorite race tires and an ounce or two of Stans sealant in each tire. Let her ride around with the lower pressures and see what she thinks about the feel, traction, rolling resistance, handling, etc... . If she likes it, keep it on there for a few weeks/months in the off season. If she doesn't like it, you're out a pair of cheap tubes and 2 - 4 ounces of sealant and can easily remount her tires and regular tubes so she is back to "normal".

Not much wasted and a worthy test. If she really likes it, you can invest in some rimstrips (although the ghetto is fine if she doesn't change tires often) that fit on those particular rims.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Andrea138 said:
What? I've never heard of anyone running a Stan's kit on non UST tire saying that they use higher tire pressure because of it. Personally, I go for 20psi.

My advice to the OP is to let her watch the Stan's video a couple of times and try it herself a few times so that she really understands how it works and how to do it. Just like anything else, there's a learning curve, but it's not really that bad unless you've got a tire that's crazy hard to get on the rim- which is a PITA whether you're tubeless or not (personally, I'd rather NOT be using a tube in that case).
You've heard it now.;) I'm guessing you are pretty light and don't weight anywhere close to 230lbs, right? I've had tires roll off the rim and burp at 28psi, but then again I'm 230lbs. What works for some doesn't work for everyone.
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,685 Posts
Jay04cobra said:
You've heard it now.;) I'm guessing you are pretty light and don't weight anywhere close to 230lbs, right? I've had tires roll off the rim and burp at 28psi, but then again I'm 230lbs. What works for some doesn't work for everyone.
all depends on the setup. I weigh 225 and typicaly run 28psi . the only time Ive had burping issues is with a ust weirwolf and a ust crossmax wheel.
I wouldnt run ghetto , only tubeless or UST.
But thats not the question here is it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Jay04cobra said:
You've heard it now.;) I'm guessing you are pretty light and don't weight anywhere close to 230lbs, right? I've had tires roll off the rim and burp at 28psi, but then again I'm 230lbs. What works for some doesn't work for everyone.
I have to raise the pressure with converted tires, too. I already run them quite low with inner tubes and the converted tires were very squirmy at the same pressure. And I weigh in the 170 range.
 

·
Dirty South Underdog
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Jay04cobra said:
You've heard it now.;) I'm guessing you are pretty light and don't weight anywhere close to 230lbs, right? I've had tires roll off the rim and burp at 28psi, but then again I'm 230lbs. What works for some doesn't work for everyone.
No. I'm going to take a risk and assume that the OP's wife does not weigh 230 pounds, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Andrea138 said:
No. I'm going to take a risk and assume that the OP's wife does not weigh 230 pounds, either.
That is probably a pretty safe bet. But the OP isn't gonna be the only one reading this thread, so I try to post things in a more general manner is all.
 

·
viva la v-brakes!
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So people are running HIGHER pressure with Stan's tubeless as compared to tubed?

If this is the case, would tubeless-ready tires solve this since they have a reinforced bead and stiffer sidewalls?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top