Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please...somebody convince me to pull the trigger on an '06 Heckler!!!!

me....aging, light clyde rider, looking to improve/upgrade to a new platrom from '02 giant ac in need of lots of new stuff (like fork, shock rebuild, drive components, etc...faux bar), loves to play in the woods on tight/rocky/rooty/twisty NE singletrack.....skills are finally coming about, learning to play with the rocks and other small drops (2-3 ft)......

looking for a am/trailbike that will be my trusty steed for the next several years.

Heckler looks like a sturdy companion....but have concerns with......pedal feedback and brake jack.....climbing.....what have you Heckler riders come from....and how does the old ride compare to the Heckelr?

Any other trade offs??

I've looked at the BLT as well...would prefer to not spend that coin on the frame...crashing is a reality.....

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Its all about the grin factor.

oldfart said:

me....aging, light clyde rider, looking to improve/upgrade to a new platrom from '02 giant ac in need of lots of new stuff (like fork, shock rebuild, drive components, etc...faux bar), loves to play in the woods on tight/rocky/rooty/twisty NE singletrack.....skills are finally coming about, learning to play with the rocks and other small drops (2-3 ft)......

looking for a am/trailbike that will be my trusty steed for the next several years.

Heckler looks like a sturdy companion....but have concerns with......pedal feedback and brake jack.....climbing.....what have you Heckler riders come from....and how does the old ride compare to the Heckelr?

Any other trade offs??

I've looked at the BLT as well...would prefer to not spend that coin on the frame...crashing is a reality.....

Thanks!!!
There is always trade offs with any mountain bike and the Heckler is no exception. I have tried many different bikes and have owned four mountain bikes over the last three years. The Heckler has been my overall favorite and I don't even own one right now. There have been riders on these forums that have gone to other bikes and ended up back on a Heckler. On paper, the simple sp design does not stack up against other more "advanced" designs like vpp and the HL. The simple fact is that on the trail, the Heckler can more than hold its own against ANY design out there.

There is, minor pedal feed back and brake jack on the Heckler. Not a deal breaker in my books and it was never an issue for me on the trail. The bb height is a little low also. You have to look at the overall package, and when you weigh all the variables, the Heckler has many traits that serious riders look for. The Heckler climbs very well, and can rip going downhill. The geometry is spot on for aggressive trail riding and the frame is very strong and will last for years. The Heckler is known for excellent handling characteristics on technical trails. Flickable is a good word to describe the Heckler. The design is simple and easy to maintain. You can dress the Heckler up as a 35lb+ hd freeride beast or slim it down to well under 30lbs for xc. The frame is cheap also.

The main selling point is the grin factor. You will figure this out if you ever ride one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here is my pitch for you...

I agree with everything that has been stated. Very good assesment. The low BB height is a factor. You just can't treasure your pedals too much. But, this is why the thing can be slung around in the single track soooo well. I have had my Heckler for 3 years. It was one of the first generation "new" Hecklers after the remake. I have a friend that has one of the old style Hecklers and ther is really nothing the same about them. They are missing the gussets and beef up plates that the new ones have. They are cut more to the Superlight than anything to compaired to today.

I have ridden a Turner 5 Spot along side of my bike. A riding buddy of mine has one. We are about the same size and we swap out often on the trail to try each others bikes. A pretty good bike to put it up against by all reports. I like the Turners small bump feel and climbing ability. This is from the 4 bar Horst Link setup in the back. On bigger hits the Heckler takes over the 5. The 5 Spot feels more like 4" bike where the Heckler just seems to have a little better big hit cush. Now I am now a hucker, just like you.

Riding the bikes side by side they are both vey good in technical rocky stuff. Almost a toss up in that area. Very predictable and stable on both rigs.

I have reciently taken my 5th Element off and replaced it with a Manipu 4-way Air shock. Now that has made a big difference in the small bump compliance of the bike. I like it more than the Turner all over and it seems to blimb better when attacking on sketchy climbs. It feels better overall to me now.

I like my Heckler more than the Turner. I also play with Bullits and a Spec FSR XC race bike and have some time on an 05 Enduro. Would not go there either over the Heckler.

I am 6'2", 200 lbs. I ride an XL Heckler with a Manipu Sherman on the front.
I use Sram shifters, Xmax XL wheels and Magura Brakes. Solid rig.

The best thing I like about the bike is you can hammer it all day long. Take it out for a ride, bash it around, bring it back in, lube the chain and you are ready to go again the next day.

I hope this helps... Pull the trigger, you will not be sorry!

·
Registered
229 Posts
oldfart said:

Any other trade offs??

Thanks!!!
I am currently riding a Turner 6 Pack, and previously a SC Bullit and a Heckler. My riding buddies and I always conclude the the SC Heckler is the best all around bike for the $$. Can be built up xc race worthy at 25lbs or North Shore burly at 38lbs and performs wonderfully in both disciplines. No reliability issues, suspension works great, and holds resale value very well on e-bay. Most importantly will inspire confidence and open new doors as to what you thought possible with your riding skills. Make the purchase and enjoy.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Old fart, perhaps at your age you should get a Dahon folding bike to carry on your motorhome...LOL!...just kidding, of course. I work and ride with TexHeckler. He's right about the Heckler being a heck of an all-around, do-anything bike. He's also worn out the bushings on his fork and wore out the rear shock on that frame, but the frame hasn't had one service issue. It's a tough bike that does lots of things very well...and the price is ultrareasonable. Oh...BTW...I'm 54, and I have a 6" travel Dahon on my motorhome...LOL!

·
telemarc
293 Posts
As the bikes our group rides have evolved 2 riders have been riding the same Heckler frames for longer than I care to remember. The rest of us have delved in and out of the smorgasboard of bikes looking for the ultimate XC / Trailbike. Oddly enough aside from myself on my Reign 1 and my wife on her Super light Bullit the rest of the riders , male and female are all riding Heckler's in various builds. I have never seen one let them down.We live on Vancouver Island .Riding is very technical ,lots of roots , logs, drops.

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
All I cn say is that I researched the [email protected] out of this and just bought a Heckler frame and built it up. I am 38 but on the lighter side of things (160lbs wet). Anyhow, I have been a die hard HT guy who rides a lot of skatepark and urban as well as light to maybe even moderate FR (unless Im at Whistler, then its fuul go!). I only have a few rides on the Heckler but I can tell you this much: it climbs as well or better than my hardtail, feels closer to 7" of travel than 5, and even with a chain guide, 2.35 tires, and a host of non xc weight parts, it rides as light as my beefy HT (Chameleon). Very responsive feel on the trail.

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
oldfart said:

Any other trade offs??

Thanks!!!
My Heckler climbs like a goat, weighs around 30 lbs, looks awesome, feels awesome, can take big drops, and it's easy to get into the air.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
getting closer......

thanks for the input, please keep it coming, it is helping.

I'm glad to hear positive things about climbing...as I like to head to the mountains and get to do a bunch of it.

I've been researching this a bit and the bike just seems to work well in all environments. I agree it isn't the latest version of supsension.....but it works, all the time. I also like the minimalist maintenace idea, coming form a 10 bearing bike...

Oh, texheckler.....46....as advisor for a school bike club, riding with 17 year old students....the term oldfart gets used as term of endearment, as in "not bad for an oldfart"......... :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
You qualify!!

I understand totally! I ride with a bunch of guys and I am the pup of the group. We call our selves the R.O.F. MBA. (Retired Old Farts) The oldest is 60. We have a great time and with armor and riding gear on you can't tell we are that "old" out on the trail. We take a yearly trip to Moab and to this date we have not been passed going down Porqupine Rim Trail!

Get the Heckler! For the money it is hard to beat the product.

Keep riding!

·
What are you looking at?
949 Posts
oldfart said:
thanks for the input, please keep it coming, it is helping.

I'm glad to hear positive things about climbing...as I like to head to the mountains and get to do a bunch of it.

I've been researching this a bit and the bike just seems to work well in all environments. I agree it isn't the latest version of supsension.....but it works, all the time. I also like the minimalist maintenace idea, coming form a 10 bearing bike...

Oh, texheckler.....46....as advisor for a school bike club, riding with 17 year old students....the term oldfart gets used as term of endearment, as in "not bad for an oldfart"......... :cool:
Did you get one yet?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.