Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of why I should not buy an Ellsworth Epiphany (frame only)
Rider: '6"2 175lbs semi-agressive XC

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
-=Canuck=- said:
Well, they're expensive, but I'm sure you knew that already.

I think the Epiphany will be one of the lightest weight XC bikes in it's travel range. It should also ride extremely well. Sounds like a very tempting combination to me.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts
I don't think you're in the right forum to be convinced to not buy an Epiphany. Everyone here would encourage it I'd think. Seems like it will be one sweet ride and given your stats I think you would be happy with the purchase.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
I think the Epiphany will be one of the lightest weight XC bikes in it's travel range.
How heavy is the Epiphany (frame)? My small Id weighs 5.86lbs with a High Volume RP3 while my small Spot weighs 6.35 with a DHX-A.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
pecusick said:
5.45 lbs with RP-3. Just weighed one off the line. Its black
Nice. I guess i'll have to get Ti bolts to get close to that weight on my Id.

Pecusick, what is the actual BB height on the Epihany? Is it really 14.5"? (13+1+0.5 = 14.5; wheel diameter+~tire thickness+0.5)

·
Registered
727 Posts
<Convince me...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rider: '6"2 175lbs semi-agressive XC>

Don't buy one so there's more availability for me :D

I think you should go read the suspension design comparison section in the Ellsworth website ;)

I think it's going to be a great frame for you for your intended purpose.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Hey Paul

pecusick said:
5.45 lbs with RP-3. Just weighed one off the line. Its black
Weighed any large GREEN ones?

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Fill us in? What kind of conversations?

I have an argument against it: The Moment is more versatile with longer legs. Also, it's got a some experience under its belt. Everyone knows you don't buy a product in its first year!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Alright, don't get one.

-=Canuck=- said:
Get a Moment instead and become "fully aggressive" and expand your riding options. You will still be able to build it up fairly light for the all day epics.

·
Registered
410 Posts
ronny said:
Get a Moment instead and become "fully aggressive" and expand your riding options. You will still be able to build it up fairly light for the all day epics.
Yeah -=Canuck=-, you really should consider the Moment, I test rodeit and LOVED it, it felt plenty light and efficient for the xc/trail riding i like to do, but I decided to go with the EPI at 2 pounds lighter. I hope I didn't make a mistake...only tommorrow will tell, the Brown Santa will be visiting at about noon to drop it off.
-Pusher

·
Registered
410 Posts
hammerheadbikes said:
We should have our first Epipanies in next week

I will tell you that I had several LONG conversations with their production people at Interbike, asking some hard questions... I liked what I heard

how much abuse do you plan to give it?
how big of drops?
Hey Charles,

Since Ellsworth has gone inhouse for their fab., any chance that Hammerhead can get in on some custum enforced "Hammerhead Moments" or "Hammerhead EPIs"? I got to imagine they would be interested in making some money on the side with their new fab. Then again it seems as though Tony dislikes sharing his designs...I think i just talked myself through to the answer - oh well. :mad: I still think it would be a cool project though.

-Pusher

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
-=Canuck=- said:
If you are canadian which by your handle I assume you are - you should check out the devinci remix line - horst link, laid back geo, light and likely at least one thousand bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Best Idea Ever...wish I thought of it before I bought MY EPI

Oh, thats right, we were supposed to convince you not to buy the EPI...Than how about this for something to consider:

For the price of ONE (1) EPI frame alone, you could also purchase BOTH the Titus Moto-Lite AND the Yeti 575, both of which are EXCELENT contenders, and both that still make you feel bling bling while riding, but now you'll be doubly bling as you have 2 bikes to choose from in your quiver. C'mon, i know you have an old hardtail some where with enough components on it to build up that extra frame you're gonna now have - RIGHT!??

Think about, with your two new frames you now have the choice of riding a 4", 5", or a 5.75" bike. If you want one solid reason, there it is!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts