Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm terrible with large purchases. Either I rush into something and buy it without thinking and suffer from buyers remorse(no worse feeling than this) or I take a really long time to getting around to buying something I really want that costs $$$. In this case it is the latter. I've been wanting to buy a MTB for a while now and I wanted a nice simple package for a reasonable price. I've been scouring Pinkbike looking for something cheaper than the goblin with a similar or better component package but I can't really find anything in my size that fits the bill. Right now im just needing the extra push to go ahead and purchase the bike. The support over at Airborne has been pretty good. They've answered all my questions promptly....I just am afraid of that buyers remorse haunting me in my sleep.

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
I can't convince you to buy the Goblin, but I will say that I love my Guardian 1.0. With a few cheap upgrades, it's as good as or better than most bikes out on the trail. I've ridden the Goblin and it's a great all around package. You really can't go wrong with it as long as you know some basic bike maintenance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats your price range? If its around $1k, check out the Marin High Springs Elite 29er. Best bike in the range.
I wanted to spin at a max of 1500 but less is nice. I was thinking id be able to find something on the online used market that would be better than the airborne, but can't seem to find anything. I just see a lot of specialized rockhoppers and stumpjumpers. I feel like I would probably be happy with the Airborne..but could I be happier with another bike is the question. A few of the mtbing guys ive met keep telling me to stay away from 29ers. Although ive noticed there is a bit of dissention in regards to that topic everywhere.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wanted to spin at a max of 1500 but less is nice. I was thinking id be able to find something on the online used market that would be better than the airborne, but can't seem to find anything. I just see a lot of specialized rockhoppers and stumpjumpers. I feel like I would probably be happy with the Airborne..but could I be happier with another bike is the question. A few of the mtbing guys ive met keep telling me to stay away from 29ers. Although ive noticed there is a bit of dissention in regards to that topic everywhere.
The comment about your friends saying to "stay away from 29ers" made me do a double take. Is your terrain really flat and smooth or are you pretty short? If yes to the last two you may want to go 26.

My local trails are roots, rocks, and hills. Since getting my Goblin a year ago I haven't touched my 26 inch bike. 29er simply rolls over the crap that used to slow me down. I will NEVER go back to a smaller wheel size.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am 5'10 so not necessarily short or tall. The trails around here are very rocky and are full of roots as well. I rode a 29er at a bike shop here. I could barely communicate with the guy of course since he knew very little English. I could only ride it IN THE SHOP. Odd I thought. However the 29er felt very..different. I'm thinking with time i'd get used to it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am 5'10" as well, and LOVE my Goblin. It took all of five seconds to get used to the bike, and I won't go back to a 26er either. We don't need to convince you of anything, and it doesn't matter what your buddies think about 29er's either - ride what YOU want. After spending three months researching bikes myself I can say this, you won't find a better bike anywhere else for the money or the service Airborne provides.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on it. I asked the support and they recommended the 18in for me. Im 5'10 with a 33 in inseam, not a really long torso and just slightly longer than average arms.

Would anyone disagree with this?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on it. I asked the support and they recommended the 18in for me. Im 5'10 with a 33 in inseam, not a really long torso and just slightly longer than average arms.

Would anyone disagree with this?
I am almost the exact same measurements as you...my 18 Goblin fits like a glove..and I agree with the other posters...I was a 29er hold out and since getting it my 26ers pretty much sit and collect dust and pray they are 29ers when they grow up!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do it!! Peer Pressure!! Everyone's doing it. But really. I spent about 3 months trying to decide on a bike. I test rode various bikes and from all the various LBS and was about to drop the money on a Specialized Carve. I compared prices online and the Goblin was just a better bike considering my weight (240 at the time) since you could fine tune the fork. Rode my buddy's Reba equipped Trek X-Cal and loved the fork. Disliked the frame as I could never get the right fit in a Trek G2 frame but the Specialized fit me perfect. I compared the geometry between the Carve and the Goblin and they were pretty close so I pulled the trigger on the Goblin and saved about $500 bux by going with Airborne and getting a better fork.
You'll probably upgrade things since that's pretty much an addicting aspect of the hobby as well but You'll get a great bike for your investment.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
The bike is spec'ed out nicely for the price. Although I admit I would prefer Shimano brakes, shifters and derailleurs. It is just a personal preference and not a deal breaker.

whats your price range? If its around $1k, check out the Marin High Springs Elite 29er. Best bike in the range.
Must be a European model that isn't available in the US because I don't see it listed anywhere on Marin USA.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
A few of the mtbing guys ive met keep telling me to stay away from 29ers. Although ive noticed there is a bit of dissention in regards to that topic everywhere.
I see you are next door to me in TN so you will probably be riding some similar stuff. I live near Asheville NC right next to Pisgah National Forrest. So I have to laugh at people that say things like that or claim that 29ers are not good for this or that. They obviously drank some 26" Kool-Aid and think that 26" bikes are the best. I ride some pretty gnarly stuff and most the bikes in the area here are 29ers. Never once have I said "I wish I had a 26" bike so I could ride that." lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.