Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Context: Always mountain biked, love the sport. Ever since I picked up snowboarding, mountain bike trailing just doesn't do it for me anymore. I thought I would pick up downhill mountain biking.

I am 5 foot 10, and I would preferably like something as rigid and durable as possible. If this isn't an option, I have an old bike I can swap in parts to a frame.

The guy just posted it and from what he told me, the bike is 2 years old. He's selling it only for $600. Here's the description:

It's a fully custom Santa Cruz bullit frame built from the ground up.

-fox vanilla rc rear suspension
-marzocchi bomber fork with dampening and preload adjustment
-kenda nevegal tires 2.3 front, 2.5 rear
-avid 6" rotor disk brakes
-hussefelt cranks
-blackspire dual slalom chain guide
-promax brake levers
-jag wire carbon brake lining
-Shimano deore shifter and gears

As the title says, why shouldn't i buy it? It does seem too good to be true. He invested well over $2000 in frame and parts alone. He's giving up the sport in favor of automotive modding.

·
Registered
148 Posts
A photo or some more information especially in the area of model year for the frame and components would be helpful.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What type of riding are you looking to do and is this price point where your budget maxes out? The listing says local pickup only so I assume you will have a chance to look it over in person before deciding. Everything on this bike is definitely old. If it was well cared for that may not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That's an OLD Bullit frame and many parts on it are old as well.
Easy to find better looking Bullits for close to that asking price.
Suspension is old.
If that bike was in mint condition and needed not a single bit of service or maintenance, then $600 would be the top of the price range.
Doesn't look like a great deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of riding are you looking to do and is this price point where your budget maxes out? The listing says local pickup only so I assume you will have a chance to look it over in person before deciding. Everything on this bike is definitely old. If it was well cared for that may not be a problem.
That's too bad, then. Nah, I'm looking for a budget of $700-$1000 and I'm looking into DH/FR bikes. Preferably a hardtail. I've tried a long range, FS rig before and I can deal with it but if I had to choose between that and a hardtail, then I'd definitely choose the hardtail.

That's an OLD Bullit frame and many parts on it are old as well.
Easy to find better looking Bullits for close to that asking price.
Suspension is old.
If that bike was in mint condition and needed not a single bit of service or maintenance, then $600 would be the top of the price range.
Doesn't look like a great deal.
I see. There are things that would definitely need maintenance and I'd rather not have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'd pass too. I say wait until a more suitable bike. I know DHing can be done with a hardtail, but your body will love you if you opt for something with 7-8 inches of front and rear travel. I bought my first DH bike for $950 (almost new Norco Atomik), my buddy just scored a really nice 2011 Scott Voltage for $1250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd pass too. I say wait until a more suitable bike. I know DHing can be done with a hardtail, but your body will love you if you opt for something with 7-8 inches of front and rear travel. I bought my first DH bike for $950 (almost new Norco Atomik), my buddy just scored a really nice 2011 Scott Voltage for $1250.
Yeah I can see why. I'm sure I'll be able to adjust fully. It's hard to buy in this category because I can never find a properly balanced bike. Either the frame is bulletproof but the parts are sub-par or vice versa. It's annoying at best but I'm not giving up. Those are pretty good bikes though, I'm a tad jealous.

Where did you pick up your bike from, if I may ask?

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
OMG - it has first gen Avid BB mech brakes! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Wishful thinking will stop you faster than those things!

Sorry, I just had to say something.

To the OP, Pinkbike is actually a pretty decent place to find a used DH bike, you just have to be careful. There aren't too many scammers, but there is lots of overpriced crap amongst the *****in' bargains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG - it has first gen Avid BB mech brakes! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Wishful thinking will stop you faster than those things!

Sorry, I just had to say something.

To the OP, Pinkbike is actually a pretty decent place to find a used DH bike, you just have to be careful. There aren't too many scammers, but there is lots of overpriced crap amongst the *****in' bargains.
Nah, it's cool. I've been looking without too much luck. The snow here didn't fully melt away so i've got time. I don't know anything about components which is why I asked.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The Norco Atomik was a Craigslist special. The guy who owned it lived in the same city as I did so I was the first one to show up. I usually lowball people (I'm cheap) but this bike was so new and clean that I did not bargain at all (you'll know a good deal when you see it). $950 with upgraded brakes and really almost-new condition.

After a couple of years riding it, I decided to get a better fitting bike and got a Turner DHR frame from Pinkbike. This one was a bit tougher. I got the frame for only $500 (it still sells for $2K with shock), but it was not in the best shape so I had to strip the paint and polished it. I then transferred all the parts on my old bike and moved it to this frame (had to buy a crankset and a new shock for this finicky suspension design). So far, so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Norco Atomik was a Craigslist special. The guy who owned it lived in the same city as I did so I was the first one to show up. I usually lowball people (I'm cheap) but this bike was so new and clean that I did not bargain at all (you'll know a good deal when you see it). $950 with upgraded brakes and really almost-new condition.

After a couple of years riding it, I decided to get a better fitting bike and got a Turner DHR frame from Pinkbike. This one was a bit tougher. I got the frame for only $500 (it still sells for $2K with shock), but it was not in the best shape so I had to strip the paint and polished it. I then transferred all the parts on my old bike and moved it to this frame (had to buy a crankset and a new shock for this finicky suspension design). So far, so good.

God damn that looks beautiful. Gimme your bike! Ha, just kidding. Seriously though, you've gotten pretty lucky with what you got so far. I'm still waiting for mine~

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
don't buy it...it is very old and the rust will generate it pelvis region causing your penis to get barnicles and later fall off....don't be without penis, don't buy that bike

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think pinkbike classifieds are a great place to shop. I got bit by one scammer on some XT disc brakes; so insist on PayPal for payment. I got my money refunded to me after filing a claim and waiting about a month.

I was on a tight budget and looking for a burly bike this winter and found a great deal on a 2006 Santa Cruz VP-Free outfitted with XT components and Marzocchi 888 for $500 CAD. I had to source another rear shock for it as the original was blown; but again pinkbike to the rescue with a FOX DHX coil for $140 USD. A new set of Hayes Prime Pro brakes and a dropper post were added and she's ready for spring. All together with shipping, I think I've got about $900 USD invested. Can't wait to ride it on something rugged.

Clay - Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hey man... just some tips on buying a bike:
1) make sure it fits- in your case, many manufacturer's definition of a medium might fit. But not all bike companies are the same so make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger.
2) buy to the maximum of your budget - you won't snag true deals in the $600 range... those bikes will likely have old geometry, very marginal components, beat up or all of the above. You'll find better "real" deals near the $1000 range.
3) Pinkbike and CL really are the top two sites to buy used (sorry, MTBR).
4) know what you're buying - that means knowing the geometry specs on your bike. Learn head angles and what they do to handling and stability, what low bottom brackets do, etc. Also know what kind of components come with the bike (can you tell Alivio versus Saints? Then you're ready to buy).
5) know what you want - someone mocked manual disc brakes on this thread and they're pretty spot on. You'll want hydraulic disc, and not just any either. You want to know the advantages/disadvantages of dual crown versus single, Single pivot versus virtual pivot suspension, etc.

In other words, you may want to really wait until you know what you want. Posting on the forum is a good idea so people can give you good advice, but the best advice will come from you and what you need (and know). I'm always stoked to see guys enthusiatically getting into riding, and I'd much rather have them get the best bike for the money. Good luck, man!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
don't buy it...it is very old and the rust will generate it pelvis region causing your penis to get barnicles and later fall off....don't be without penis, don't buy that bike
Yup, figured as much. Thank you for your reply!

I think pinkbike classifieds are a great place to shop. I got bit by one scammer on some XT disc brakes; so insist on PayPal for payment. I got my money refunded to me after filing a claim and waiting about a month.

I was on a tight budget and looking for a burly bike this winter and found a great deal on a 2006 Santa Cruz VP-Free outfitted with XT components and Marzocchi 888 for $500 CAD. I had to source another rear shock for it as the original was blown; but again pinkbike to the rescue with a FOX DHX coil for $140 USD. A new set of Hayes Prime Pro brakes and a dropper post were added and she's ready for spring. All together with shipping, I think I've got about $900 USD invested. Can't wait to ride it on something rugged.

Clay - Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery
This is another route I could go. Buy an old (or in need of parts) bike and make it suitable. That's one fine bike, though.

Everything on this bike is definitely old. If it was well cared for that may not be a problem.
Yup, that seems to be the general consensus. Just testing the waters here aha.

Hey man... just some tips on buying a bike:
1) make sure it fits- in your case, many manufacturer's definition of a medium might fit. But not all bike companies are the same so make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger.
2) buy to the maximum of your budget - you won't snag true deals in the $600 range... those bikes will likely have old geometry, very marginal components, beat up or all of the above. You'll find better "real" deals near the $1000 range.
3) Pinkbike and CL really are the top two sites to buy used (sorry, MTBR).
4) know what you're buying - that means knowing the geometry specs on your bike. Learn head angles and what they do to handling and stability, what low bottom brackets do, etc. Also know what kind of components come with the bike (can you tell Alivio versus Saints? Then you're ready to buy).
5) know what you want - someone mocked manual disc brakes on this thread and they're pretty spot on. You'll want hydraulic disc, and not just any either. You want to know the advantages/disadvantages of dual crown versus single, Single pivot versus virtual pivot suspension, etc.

In other words, you may want to really wait until you know what you want. Posting on the forum is a good idea so people can give you good advice, but the best advice will come from you and what you need (and know). I'm always stoked to see guys enthusiatically getting into riding, and I'd much rather have them get the best bike for the money. Good luck, man!
Ah, thank you very much for the pointers! I figurethat $600 won't get me anything except a repairable bike (at best). I'm still learning the parts and geometry but the season is'nt here yet so I've got plenty of time ahead of me to learn. Though when I fixed up my AM bike and replace front and rear derailers along with installing disc brakes, I got myself into more than I can chew. But I got through it and I'm ready for another challenge. Though I just need to know another thing: how old is too old regarding a bike? Cuz I've seen Darkhorses, 2006-2007 specialized big hits etc. Would the frames of these bikes still be useful in terms of DH?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'll assume that you live around Ontario, CA, right? You'll probably see more Norcos, Knolly, and Rocky Mountains around that area, so be very familiar with the models those brands offer.

Also, most manufacturers started adopting "more modern" DH geometry around 2008-2009... head angles at 64 deg or below, and around 14 inches (and below) bottom bracket heights. About the only "old" bike with that kind of geo would be the Ironhorse Sunday (yay, Sam Hill!).

2006-2007 Big Hits are decent, but I think they've got that weird 24-inch rear wheel to lower and slacken the geo, and that limits your tire and wheel choices (so I'd pass on those).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that's the province. So 2008-09 adopted some of the better geometry. I thought that Specialized stop doing that after 2005 in those models. Regardless, angles wouldn't be any good anyways. Thanks again for your help! I have a more of a grasp in what I need to learn and look for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear cogs/chain etc look beat. You can expect to drop at least $300 into it and it probably still will be crap with those brakes. Spend more to find a hardly used bike (plenty out there!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts