Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so i've been thinking about making the Hardrock an SS, seeing how i never really shift anyways, and i'm not happy with the POS derailleurs on it that keep mishifting and misaligning. What do I have to buy exactly?
I've been looking at this:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...s/Gusset-1-ER-Single-Speed-Conversion-Kit.htm
Is this any good? Will it fit on my hub?
And do i need a chain tensioner? I'm thinking about skipping out on that for now and adding that on later, and maybe using a ghost ring (I think that's what it's called) till i buy the tensioner.
And i can use the old brake levers, right? Because they're integrated into the shifters. POS Shimano things.
Or will this Atomlab be better?
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=113732&cat=55&brand=1016
I'll be using the 32t ring in the front, just the old middle chainring.

·
No really, I am that slow
464 Posts
Yup

The conversion kit & a tensioner should do it. Skipping the tensioner is a matter of luck. It depnds on the bike geometry & the cog sizes you use. Now way could I get my setup to work w/o a tensioner. Skip the spring loaded ones. Beats me how anyone can use one & not have skipping. Rennen & On-one make em.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, i have another question. I removed the 3rd chainring, but the bolts that i took off of the 3rd chainring also bolt onto the second chainring. So, without the big ring, the bolts are a bit too big, and the 2nd chainring is a little wobbly. Is this ok? Should i try to put some washers on too?
thanks.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
Add a bashguard is another option if you want to use your existing bolts. The 6mm bolts are sometimes not the easiest to find at many bikeshops unfortunately. I lost some the other day and after visiting two stores, had to add them to an online order I had in the works. If it happens again, I'll just get a bashguard so I won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LoneStar said:
Add a bashguard is another option if you want to use your existing bolts. The 6mm bolts are sometimes not the easiest to find at many bikeshops unfortunately. I lost some the other day and after visiting two stores, had to add them to an online order I had in the works. If it happens again, I'll just get a bashguard so I won't have to worry about it.
Yeah, i was thinking about getting a bashguard instead, but until i do, i'll put some washers on.
Do i have to pull the crank off to get the smallest chainring off?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ezw0rkz said:
My cranks are of the "self extracting" type, all I had to do was get a large 10mm allen and unscrew the crank arm to get the smallest ring off.
i tried to turn the allen wrench, but it won't budge at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Raghavan said:
i tried to turn the allen wrench, but it won't budge at all.
They can be a b$tch especially if you have not had it apart before.
Try sliding a length of pipe over the wrench for more leverage-
Or give it a whack with a mallet.
It might be helpful to have something to hold the other crankarm with.....maybe find a buddy to help out .

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
upstatesspdr said:
They can be a b$tch especially if you have not had it apart before.
Try sliding a length of pipe over the wrench for more leverage-
Or give it a whack with a mallet.
It might be helpful to have something to hold the other crankarm with.....maybe find a buddy to help out .
So it'll pop out with the allen wrench?
Then what's the crank remover for?

monkeymankw, any luck with the nashbar kit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.