Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been running 1x10 for 2 years now and my collection of front shifters is well, just collecting dust. And after seeing Jared Graves setup on his bike, I was inspired.

I use the KS Lev on my Mojo HD, I love it. The switch/lever though I do not. I crashed riding my moto years ago and broke my left thumb into the 2nd joint, so I have limited angles to comfortably deal within.

I first removed the cap/body, and then used a dremel to remove the top ( only the top ) of the rivet which serves as the fulcrum/pivot for the key which is spring loaded and pushes the key into notches in the main body driven by the large shift lever. Once the rivet's head was ground off, I pryed up the plate, removed the spring, and key and put everything back together. I dremel'd off the secondary short lever as I wasn't willing to remove the main central rivet/assembly that everything revolves around. Another nice attribute, is the fact that it has a barrel adjuster with decent range on it.

I put it back together, and the xtr large lever throw matches the KS Lev dead on. The lever provides a lot more leverage and it is so smooth. I can't believe I haven't done this earlier.. it is sooo much more comfortable... anyways, attached are a few shots.

IMG_0810.jpg IMG_0813.jpg IMG_0817.jpg IMG_0818.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I have a used XO front 2 speed shifter. I took it apart, and I think it is probably easier to convert than the xtr was, but everything else is xtr on the bike so I had to... : )

·
Registered
171 Posts
For anybody with the KS seat posts , they have introduced the SouthPaw to serve the same purpose as above.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I was able to do this mod on an old X7 2x10 shifter. I pulled off the upper housing and then carefully ground off the ratchet tooth with a dremel. Reassembled. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Any reason an SLX shifter wouldn't work for this? I haven't pulled one apart before, but would imagine it's pretty similar to an XT/XTR just different materials.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SLX should work as well... I would imagine almost any shifter could be converted if its cable throw is in the ball park.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone done a pic by pic how to?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I forgot to take pics, but I followed this "guide" and it's working great. It was a bit tricky to reassemble because of a couple springs that need to be tensioned, but pretty straight forward process.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So, I'm trying to do this with an old M660 but I think I may have exploding the piece too much. I can't seem to find a diagram to put it all together and I was hoping someone in this thread might be able to direct me to the correct place.

I also have an old XT shifter I can use but I don't want to destroy it without seeing how a few took theirs apart step by step.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
hey rodeoj, when you made the switch from KS lever to XTR shifter, did you have to use a new cable or did the old one work?

also, is the new lever-feel very light? I kind of like the firm feedback of the stubby KS lever, though I basically hate the ergonomics & placement.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So, I'm trying to do this with an old M660 but I think I may have exploding the piece too much. I can't seem to find a diagram to put it all together and I was hoping someone in this thread might be able to direct me to the correct place.

I also have an old XT shifter I can use but I don't want to destroy it without seeing how a few took theirs apart step by step.
If you remove the cover off the XT, you should be able to see how it all fits back together. I made the mistake of starting the project without enough time to finish and had to wait a day to put it all back together. In that time, I had forgotten how it all fit and spent a lot of time on day 2 trying to find the proper order. The guys are all about the same, so just pop the cover off your "spare" and give it a look.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you remove the cover off the XT, you should be able to see how it all fits back together. I made the mistake of starting the project without enough time to finish and had to wait a day to put it all back together. In that time, I had forgotten how it all fit and spent a lot of time on day 2 trying to find the proper order. The guys are all about the same, so just pop the cover off your "spare" and give it a look.
Thanks for getting back to me. I ruined a few trying to figure out how to get a few clips off, didn't even come close.

No big deal, I learned some of the mechanics at least and they were just sitting in my spare parts bucket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for cross-posting, trying to do a similar mod, cannot figure out how to disassemble my XT shifter. Took off the cover, but what is next? Thanks! IMG_20140923_211504.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts