Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything special about converting my Voodoo Bokor from gears to single speed? Is it as simple as just picking up a single gear and spacers, or do I need a new wheel? And on the front, just swap out the chinrings for a single? Any help or hints appreciated - thanks!

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
You can do the same thing I did with my Voodoo Bizango. I built up a White Industries Eno hub. Due to the vertical dropouts, it allows you to run a true SS without using a chain tensioner. You can use your same rear wheel with a surly singluator rig an old rear derailleur to do the same thing. Add spacers, and then you can start suffering :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The Bokor has sliding dropouts, right? If so, all you need to do is get a spacer kit and a cog (some spacer kits come with the cog) and a non-ramped single speed chainring for the front. You will need shorter chainring bolts too. Pull the cassette off, replace with cog and spacers. Remove shifters and derailleurs. Pull the middle and outer rings off the crankset and replace the middle one with the new chainring and bolts. (You can remove the granny gear if you want to but you'll need to pull the crank off to do that). Loosen up the sliding dropouts and push them all the way forward. Shorten the chain to the shortest length that will wrap around the rear cog and the front chainring. Pull the wheel back until the chain is almost tight (spin crank and make sure there are no tight spots, if there are, that's where you want to check the tightness - you don't want any tension in the chain, just minimal slack) and then tighten up the sliders making sure the wheel is straight in the frame. Done. Go ride.

Additional detail is chainline from front to back. I'd put the chainring on the outside of the crank spider where the big ring goes and then measure the distance to the center of the seat tube of the frame to the chainring. Then subtract that measurement from 68mm. (135mm/2 = distance from center of hub to frame) That's how far the cog should be from the inside of the frame dropout. Use spacers to get the cog approximately in that position. It doesn't have to be perfect.

If you have more questions, go to the Single Speed forum instead of here in the All Mountain forum.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,533 Posts
Razride, I love that you posted this question in All Mtn forum! Kick Arse on a Hardtail, man! Alot of humor and good mojo in the singlespeed forum, get over there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.