Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
fear this
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to upgrade my rear wheel to disk on my '03 Sugar 4+. The front has already been done. However, I have absolutely no idea where to start. I ended up getting a Mavic F219 Disc front wheel with a Deore XT hub and Avid BB7 mechanical brakes. Now what about the rear? I don't think I can find an F219 Disc rim anymore since they're old school. I suppose the XT hub isn't too difficult to find, but if anyone can shed some light on this conversion, it'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
You could just buy a complete disc rear wheel. That'll probably be cheaper and easier than buying the hub, the spokes, the rim and someone to build it for you. Unless your planning to build it yourself. Bontrager makes some wheels. A bontrager select maybe a good choice for you.

·
2,548 Posts
fanghasyou said:
You could just buy a complete disc rear wheel. That'll probably be cheaper and easier than buying the hub, the spokes, the rim and someone to build it for you. Unless your planning to build it yourself.
True....but if it were me, I'd just leave it disc up front and keep the vees out back ;) Hell, I'm still riding vees f & r ;) LOL.

·
fear this
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The terrain I ride in is too rough and too wet out here in BC. May as well ride without a rear brake at all since it doesn't function very well here.

·
fear this
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell me if this is a good deal. LBS offers Mavic XM321 Disc wheel (this is apparently the latest equivalent of the F219 Disc), DT Swiss 340 rear hub, DT Swiss butted spokes, alloy nipples, Avid BB7 mechanical disc brake w/6" (160mm) rotor, installed for $415 CAD. I think this is a good deal.

·
2,548 Posts
Shaker666 said:
The terrain I ride in is too rough and too wet out here in BC. May as well ride without a rear brake at all since it doesn't function very well here.
Alrighty, then....makes sense for you, I'd say. I'm sure once I ever do "cross over" to the "disc side," I'll never want to go back.....as happened when I bought my Fuel - love fs, and now can't imagine living w/o it, anymore...hell, I'm commuting to work on my ol' Fuel.....high pressure slicks with fs are a nice combo on the streets, barring wanting to ride a centruy, or something...heh (my ht is back-up, but has never been pressed into service....yet ;) )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.