Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you able to convert an 8speed rear hub to a 9 speed cassette without changing the hub? Or is the new cassette too large?

Cheers,
Dan

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
dag560 said:
Are you able to convert an 8speed rear hub to a 9 speed cassette without changing the hub? Or is the new cassette too large?

Cheers,
Dan
Yup. No conversion needed. 8sp and 9sp cassettes are the same width.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
As TLG said, you should be good with your hub. However, You will have to upgrade you shifter to a 9-speed. Deraileur shoud be okay since the indexing is set by the shifter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FreeRangeChicken said:
As TLG said, you should be good with your hub. However, You will have to upgrade you shifter to a 9-speed. Deraileur shoud be okay since the indexing is set by the shifter.

Thanks for the help

Dan

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Well, other than necessity...

I'd leave it alone; 8 speeds are more durable generally and shift more reliably.

However, I believe some of the oldest 8 speed freehubs, if my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, might have a compatibility issue (the threading for the lockring wasn't as deep as required for 9 speed cassettes or something like that...or was that 7 to 8 speed conversions?). Think some front chainrings might be a problem too (thicker). Don't forget to change chains too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts