Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
I prefer a bashguard because it doesn't catch on things like rings do (since they have teeth). Rings also aren't really built for impact and they will bend and warp easily. That said, you can probably manage with the large ring anyway, especially if you get a metal file and grind the teeth down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not many logs to worry about on the side walk unless riding after a storm -- urban use only -- sidewalks, bike path, neighborhood, etc. just want the chain to stay on.

·
I win.
713 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i used a hack saw and a dremmel on my 3x9 specialized to make it into a 1x9 .....what i did was cut all the teeth off then dremmel them down a little more even. then a little sandpaper if you really want, im sure you could get by with just a dremmel. this works great for urban, as it acts as a bash guard to protect the chain, or for whatever reason you would like, but doesnt add the weight of one. it also is completely free to do, and there is no need for a new crankset or bashguard. hope this gives you a solution

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
A front derailleur without a cable and adjusted properly can do the job of the jump stop. Not as clean looking, sure, but whatever. It will also keep the chain from either jumping from to the inside or outside, so unless you expect logs or log sized curbs, you can skip the big ring or bashguard altogether.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.