Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Bontrager frame/fork and was considering the possibility of converting the fork steerer to threadless and then getting a 1" Thomson stem. Right now I have a TBone stem that is threaded.
What goes into the conversion? Shipping away to the likes of Spicer and having them replace the whole steerer? Is it worth it? Is it taboo?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,985 Posts
donkekus said:
I have an old Bontrager frame/fork and was considering the possibility of converting the fork steerer to threadless and then getting a 1" Thomson stem. Right now I have a TBone stem that is threaded.
What goes into the conversion? Shipping away to the likes of Spicer and having them replace the whole steerer? Is it worth it? Is it taboo?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Unless you're geting a new fork, why are you switching? There's no real advantage to threadless (maybe a few grams lighter). The real gain is for shops and frame makers who don't have to make several different lengths of steerers.

If you switch you need a new fork, headset and stem. That's a lot of money to spend just to convert. If your new fork needs a threadless set up great, but otherwise it's a waste of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laffeaux said:
Unless you're geting a new fork, why are you switching? There's no real advantage to threadless (maybe a few grams lighter). The real gain is for shops and frame makers who don't have to make several different lengths of steerers.

If you switch you need a new fork, headset and stem. That's a lot of money to spend just to convert. If your new fork needs a threadless set up great, but otherwise it's a waste of money.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Any idea who I can get the older "BOX" Bontrager decals? (Not the trapezoid ones) I'm looking for the one that is sort of mustard colored. Thanks. Just want the down tup decal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
laffeaux said:
There's no real advantage to threadless
Actually, there is a huge advantage to threadless - especially when comparing headsets with loose ball bearings. The main advantage is the complete and total ease of adjusting a threadless headset. Also, when was the last time you saw a loose ball threadless headset with brinelled cups and races? It is to easy to adjust a threaded headset just a little too tight resulting in brinelled/pitted cups and races - SIS steering is what we used to call it.

But to convert what sounds like a rigid fork to thrreadless doesn't sound worthwhile.
 

·
Powered by Pulvoron
Joined
·
353 Posts
this is my bontrager that i am currently building. i am installing a new marzocchi 1" threadless fork, 1" cane creek headset and pazzaz stem 1-1/8" with a shim to reduce for use as a 1". thomson also has a ship for their stem.
you can sell your threaded fork easy on the bay and probably sell it for a new fork. there are vintage builders out there looking for period correct forks like the bontrager. which are rare find.


dirt diggler
 

Attachments

·
Witty McWitterson
Joined
·
5,023 Posts
Actually, I don't think it'd be that much of a big deal. If you think about it, sending the fork to SPicer for new Steerer isn't going to cost THAT much. Afterall, it is bolted in. All Gene would have to do really is machine in a collar for the headset race that matches the old one so you get the same geometry. I'd do it if I were you. I'm betting the cost will be under $100 to do. All you're doing is getting a new steerer put in, not having a new fork built.
 

·
Powered by Pulvoron
Joined
·
353 Posts
i was also thinking of that. i have a speedgoat fork called the modzilla which is a rockshox, air cartridge and a custom paul crown that can use either a 1-1/8" or 1" steerer tube with a shim. I already talked to Gene about it and it can be done, one thing to note is the 1" steerer will also need to hold the headset bottom race. i might just sell the speedgoat fork.

dirt diggler
 

·
'Calm Down'
Joined
·
849 Posts
The steerer on your Paul crown was made by Marzocchi. They still make them in 1" and 1 1/8". Just call up SpeedGoat or any other Marzocchi dealer and have them order a steerer. I just did the same thing a few months ago.

jw

PS Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

dirt diggler said:
i was also thinking of that. i have a speedgoat fork called the modzilla which is a rockshox, air cartridge and a custom paul crown that can use either a 1-1/8" or 1" steerer tube with a shim. I already talked to Gene about it and it can be done, one thing to note is the 1" steerer will also need to hold the headset bottom race. i might just sell the speedgoat fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,985 Posts
ssmike said:
Actually, there is a huge advantage to threadless - especially when comparing headsets with loose ball bearings. The main advantage is the complete and total ease of adjusting a threadless headset. Also, when was the last time you saw a loose ball threadless headset with brinelled cups and races? It is to easy to adjust a threaded headset just a little too tight resulting in brinelled/pitted cups and races - SIS steering is what we used to call it.
But there are good threaded headsets out there where this is not an issue. Trailside adjustment isn't really possible, but also rarely needed. A King threaded headset is exactly the same as the threadless, but with a different upper portion. I have a threaded King on my CX bike and it works great. (also a threaded XTR on my SS, threaded 600 on my road bike)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
laffeaux said:
But there are good threaded headsets out there where this is not an issue. Trailside adjustment isn't really possible, but also rarely needed. A King threaded headset is exactly the same as the threadless, but with a different upper portion. I have a threaded King on my CX bike and it works great. (also a threaded XTR on my SS, threaded 600 on my road bike)
Totally agree. I've got King and Stronglight roller bearing 1" threaded headsets that are going strong after 12+ years. It was the loose ball type headest I was actually referring to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Doesn't the Bontrager forks use the old Rock Shox crown?

donkekus said:
I have an old Bontrager frame/fork and was considering the possibility of converting the fork steerer to threadless and then getting a 1" Thomson stem. Right now I have a TBone stem that is threaded.
What goes into the conversion? Shipping away to the likes of Spicer and having them replace the whole steerer? Is it worth it? Is it taboo?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Doesn't the Bontrager forks use the old Rock Shox crown?

Can someone help me? I have a Yo Eddy fork and would like to do the threadless conversion. What costs are involved and is it something easily done. I live in Hawaii so most likely it would have to be shipped off. Any recommendations on who is good at doing this? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,985 Posts
MaukaRunner said:
Can someone help me? I have a Yo Eddy fork and would like to do the threadless conversion. What costs are involved and is it something easily done. I live in Hawaii so most likely it would have to be shipped off. Any recommendations on who is good at doing this?
If you fork is threaded then you can't make this conversion.

Converting from threaded to threadless can be done to accomodate a new fork. If you're fork is not threaded, then it's not possible to do it. If you have a threadless fork that you want to use, then all you need is a new headset and stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
Soooo close

MaukaRunner said:
Doesn't the Bontrager forks use the old Rock Shox crown?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!


Old Rockshoz's used the Bontrager crown.

er... a copy of it I mean.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
How did this guy do it??

laffeaux said:
If you fork is threaded then you can't make this conversion.

Converting from threaded to threadless can be done to accomodate a new fork. If you're fork is not threaded, then it's not possible to do it. If you have a threadless fork that you want to use, then all you need is a new headset and stem.

Here is a link I saw:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=20451&postcount=87

Maybe I did not write clearly. I have a threaded fork and was wondering if the steerer could be cut and rewelded with a threadless one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Doh!!!!!

flyingsuperpetis said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!


Old Rockshoz's used the Bontrager crown.

er... a copy of it I mean.

;)
Man and I thought for the last ten years that it was the other way around!! Anyways, if it is a Rock Shox type doesn't it unbolt so the steerer tube can be removed and replaced easily?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
Yep, any framebuilder can get you a nice length of 1" threadless steerer tube, and any framebuilder with any approximation of a lathe can spin the little c-clip ring in the bottom for you. I've got thereadless steerers on all my bonty forks. Easier to adjust the HS, lighter, a more connected feeling at the helm, but mostly, I like not having to take a relatively high-precision machine and jam a wedge sideways into the middle of an otherwise evenly loaded steerer tube with enough force to deform everything into chaos. The entire expander wedge setup was the scourge against the machine from the start, and personally I have no problem breaking vintage on any of my bikes with the a threadless rig. Doug Curtlo for instance will happily set you up with some nice true temper steerers, but gene spicer or any of the usual suspects will probably have more time for turning them properly. They're not expensive, so you might think ahead and get a couple, while you're at it.

actually there are probably a few others here who'd be interested in em, and it'd probably help bring the price down if we ordered together. I could use another one too I suppose, and it'd behoove any others interested to get their names in the hat. Let us know what you find out.

fsp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Thanks, but....

flyingsuperpetis said:
Yep, any framebuilder can get you a nice length of 1" threadless steerer tube, and any framebuilder with any approximation of a lathe can spin the little c-clip ring in the bottom for you. I've got thereadless steerers on all my bonty forks. Easier to adjust the HS, lighter, a more connected feeling at the helm, but mostly, I like not having to take a relatively high-precision machine and jam a wedge sideways into the middle of an otherwise evenly loaded steerer tube with enough force to deform everything into chaos. The entire expander wedge setup was the scourge against the machine from the start, and personally I have no problem breaking vintage on any of my bikes with the a threadless rig. Doug Curtlo for instance will happily set you up with some nice true temper steerers, but gene spicer or any of the usual suspects will probably have more time for turning them properly. They're not expensive, so you might think ahead and get a couple, while you're at it.

actually there are probably a few others here who'd be interested in em, and it'd probably help bring the price down if we ordered together. I could use another one too I suppose, and it'd behoove any others interested to get their names in the hat. Let us know what you find out.

fsp
Thanks flyingsuperpetis, but I am looking to change the steerer on my Yo Eddy fork and was wondering if anyone knew of where and how much something like that costs. Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,985 Posts
MaukaRunner said:
Thanks flyingsuperpetis, but I am looking to change the steerer on my Yo Eddy fork and was wondering if anyone knew of where and how much something like that costs. Thanks again!
I honestly don't know if such a thing is possible. Maybe... If the fork currently fits the bike, I'd still question why you want to do it - lots of money with very little benefit. Having a steerer that has been replaced seems a bit sketchy (but what do I know).

If you're really set on doing it for some reason - like you have a super long headtube and will never find the correct fork - call any reputable framebuilder and ask their opinion. I'd check with several and get a consensus on the relative safety of making the switch. E-mail or call Rock Lobster, Sycip, Soulcraft, Jericho, or any other small(ish) builder to ask if it's possible.

Best of luck.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top