Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M756A rear hub, currently held on the bike with Halo Skewers. I want to get rid of the short hollow Axle the Skewers use, and fill in the dropouts spacing with a Wheels Manf. 10mm(x)174mm solid axle, which should stiffen up the back end a little. The 10mm(x)141mm hollow skewer axle does not clear the dropouts on the frame, actually only goes half-way through the dropouts on either side. This to me seems that it would allow the wheel some camber movement, a solid axle should reduce this camber movement.

So, with a solid 10mm(x)174mm axle, what nut & washer combo would be best suited for keeping the wheel secure to the dropouts?

Thanks for reading. Good advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have a M756A rear hub, currently held on the bike with Halo Skewers. I want to get rid of the short hollow Axle the Skewers use, and fill in the dropouts spacing with a Wheels Manf. 10mm(x)174mm solid axle, which should stiffen up the back end a little. The 10mm(x)141mm hollow skewer axle does not clear the dropouts on the frame, actually only goes half-way through the dropouts on either side. This to me seems that it would allow the wheel some camber movement, a solid axle should reduce this camber movement.

So, with a solid 10mm(x)174mm axle, what nut & washer combo would be best suited for keeping the wheel secure to the dropouts?

Thanks for reading. Good advice is greatly appreciated!
Unless you have a suspension frame with a really flexy rearend, a bolt on axle will not make much difference, and pretty much ZERO change on a hardtail.

Any decent LBS has appropriate axle nuts.
http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=Axle+nuts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any decent LBS has appropriate axle nuts.
Universal Cycles -- Product Search
The Shadow Conspiracy Nut & Washer combo is 3/8", which is equal to 9.525mm, will this work on a 10mm axle? Soma is not making track nuts in 10mm and the Halo Nuts don't seem to come with serrated washers like that of the Shadow Conspiracy set.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The Shadow Conspiracy Nut & Washer combo is 3/8", which is equal to 9.525mm, will this work on a 10mm axle? Soma is not making track nuts in 10mm and the Halo Nuts don't seem to come with serrated washers like that of the Shadow Conspiracy set.
Buy the parts at the LBS (plenty of those in PDX) and you can make sure everything works together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.