Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the Scott forum but this place gets alot more traffic. I've decided to replace my aging mtn bike with a 29HT. I really like Scott bikes. I ride a CR1 SL now. The Scale Pro looks nice and the retail price if $2699 isn't too crazy. The one thing I don't like is the triple up front. I don't want to go back to using a triple (have 2x9 now).

I've done a little research and can probably get a nice, light 2x10 crankset and shifters for under $600 and shave a little weight off the bike as well. I could probably sell the stock shifters but the stock crank seems like a low end Shimano piece. So I'm into the bike for $3300.

Another option I've looked at is the Specialized Stumpjumper expert at $3500. No 2x10 upgrade needed.

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The stock crank is a XT,right?
You can buy different rings for it....a larger small and middle, get shorter bolts for the middle ring, adjust front der stop screw....and your done.
You could get XTR or SRAM double cranks...and again adjust the front der .
You can usually buy just the left shifter if you really think you need that....but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think those are XT. They are 552 series which is below LX. If converting to 2x10 as you suggest, your chainline won't be optimal, right? I also see that the wheels may not be tubeless ready.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You will be surprised on cranks.
Not sure on those particular models....but SLX and XT crankarms weigh about the same....but the XT have lighter rings.
As far as chain line....your small ring can only go in so far...my XO cranks have the almost same line as my converted XT cranks....within a mm.
If you want to shell out money.....do it.Hell...just buy the Limited model and be done.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I just looked at the specs.....all decent stuff for the price range...but nothing stellar.
You could easily upgrade the X7 shifters to X9/XO/XX or Xt /XTR
And XO/XX or XTR crank and cassette
Derllrs are ok.....but if you want to spend some money...you can go shorter on the rear and there are lighter fronts.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Cevan said:
I don't think those are XT. They are 552 series which is below LX. If converting to 2x10 as you suggest, your chainline won't be optimal, right? I also see that the wheels may not be tubeless ready.
The chainline would be BETTER.

May not have room for the larger rings, though.

·
XC racer
314 Posts
Reignman said:
Good luck finding a Pro as most are already sold out for the year. Our shop tried to preseason 10 and we received a large and XL which are out the door.
+1. Our shop sponsor ordered over 60 Pro's, one in each size for each of their stores. Got three total bikes, one in each size, doubtful that anymore are coming this year. I and a teammate were able to get RC's, the only two the stores received.

·
Registered
907 Posts
After seeing enough 2x9 conversions, including my own, using upsized small and middle rings, I'd say you'd be just fine doing a 2x10 conversion. My 2x9 setup shifts better than my 3x9 setup did, btw I used Blackspire rings on an xt crank, just remember to get shorter bolts for the middle ring. You'd probably save 80-110 gms over stock. I think those stock cranks are the same as the 07 xt crank model, which just slid down the line with a new model name.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
the mayor said:
The 26/39 XX cranks is on the RC model....so a that shouldn't be a problem
The XX crank moves the inner ring outboard compared to the inner ring on a triple.

The chainline of a triple crank without the outer ring is closer to textbook correct than the current mtb doubles.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
shiggy said:
The XX crank moves the inner ring outboard compared to the inner ring on a triple.

The chainline of a triple crank without the outer ring is closer to textbook correct than the current mtb doubles.
Thanks...I did not know this.
Do you know how much it is moved outwards?
Do you know if Rotor moves the small ring out on their XC2 cranks?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.