Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Reba RL 29 (solo air, 100mm, 2014) and I would like to convert ir to rct3.
Is this right part# I'm looking for- 11.4015.544.280 ?

sram part catalog says: 11.4015.544.280 Compression Damper, Motion Control DNA, Crown Adjust - SID RCT3 Silver (includes compression knobs) A3 2014
but I'm not sure about all those versions A1-A3 and whether this years SIDs and Rebas are still sharing same chasis?

·
B A N N E D
5,352 Posts
Read the 'Note' in the Spare Parts Catalog under the SID exploded diagram, it mentions compatibility of the RCT3 A3 compression damper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean this:

9. SID RCT3 A3 (2014) compression damper must be used with SID A3 rebound damper (with Rapid Recovery valving). SID RCT3 A2 (2012-2013) compression damper is not compatible with SID RCT3 A3 compression damper.
But looking and at SIDs and REBAs diagrams they have different part# for rebound dampers:
REBA (A1-A3/2012-2014): 11.4018.025.000- Rebound Damper and Seal Head Assembly/Shaft Bolt- Reba 27.5/ 29 A3 (2014)
SID B - 80mm-120mm (A1-A3/2011-2014): 11.4018.025.002- Rebound Damper and Seal Head Assembly/Shaft Bolt- SID 27.5/ 29 A3 (2014)

·
B A N N E D
5,352 Posts
You mean this:
9. SID RCT3 A3 (2014) compression damper must be used with SID A3 rebound damper (with Rapid Recovery valving). SID RCT3 A2 (2012-2013) compression damper is not compatible with SID RCT3 A3 compression damper.
But looking and at SIDs and REBAs diagrams they have different part# for rebound dampers:
REBA (A1-A3/2012-2014): 11.4018.025.000- Rebound Damper and Seal Head Assembly/Shaft Bolt- Reba 27.5/ 29 A3 (2014)
SID B - 80mm-120mm (A1-A3/2011-2014): 11.4018.025.002- Rebound Damper and Seal Head Assembly/Shaft Bolt- SID 27.5/ 29 A3 (2014)
If the Reba has a different rebound damper to the SID, is it compatible with the SID RCT3 compression damper that says it must be used with a certain SID rebound damper?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There is nothing said about RCT3 damper under REBAs. Are you saying there is no way to rebuild these Rebas to rct3 properly?

those rebound dampers look a bit different but I don't know how it would affect compression damper.

sid:

reba:

·
B A N N E D
5,352 Posts
There is nothing said about RCT3 damper under REBAs.
Maybe because the RCT3 compression damper won't work properly with the Reba's rebound damper setup.

Are you saying there is no way to rebuild these Rebas to rct3 properly?
No, all I'm saying is the SID's RCT3 damper mightn't work properly with the Reba's rebound damper, you might also need to replace the Reba's rebound damper (if you can) with a SID's rebound damper to have the RCT3 working properly.

Were you also going to replace the Reba's rebound damper with a SID's rebound damper ?

Will the SID's rebound damper work in the Reba ?

If the SID RCT3 compression damper doesn't work properly with the Reba's rebound damper and you don't replace the Reba's rebound damper with a SID's rebound damper, is it worth putting the SID RCT3 compression damper into the Reba ?

those rebound dampers look a bit different but I don't know how it would affect compression damper.
The way the fluid moves in the fork leg moves and the amount of fluid that moves around in the fork leg might make one damper compatible or incompatible with another damper.

It does say the SID RCT3 compression damper must be used with the SID rebound damper.
You'd think there must be a reason why they'd say this.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm pretty sure you want the older A2 (2013) damper version. The newer A3's base valve is most likely tuned to work with the new midvalve (Dig), hence the footnote. This damper will work with the rebound piston in your fork regardless of whether its the basic orifice or shimmed "dual flow" design. I believe they also changed the diameter of the A3 piston slightly. There is a thread somewhere talking about the new midvalve in the Rev that discusses these details.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll just go with RLT damper after all- which is for half price rct3.

btw part# for RLT damper is the same for both sid and reba. How come it can work with different rebound dampers but not rct3?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The key here is that the '14 SID A3 has a midvalve on the back side of the rebound piston, aka Dig Valve. Because of this, the base valve (RCT3) requires a different shim stack to properly work with midvalve/rebound damper. If the piston diameters are compatible, you could use the A3 damper with a standard rebound damper (dual flow or orifice) but it may not be valved correctly.

The RLT damper would be a waste of money, imo. All you are gaining is the ability to adjust the threshold and still stuck with the same poor orifice damper, which is the crux of the RL/RLT Moco. The RL's used to have this functionality, but you had to do it with a key. The RCT3 on the other hand is a proper shimmed damper. Pricey yes, but there is a whole lot more to this damper compared to the RLT.

I'm 95% sure that the '13 RCT3 damper will work in your fork.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now you got me to think about it again :D

Last year I was riding rct3 sid but it was dual air- it was best fork I ever tried, especially small bump compliance. Also tried RL but it was solo air- it was really harsh and pushloc often got stuck.
My new bike will come with this reba rl (pushloc), thats why I'm thinking about replacing damper. But if you say rlt will feel the same than I guess its just easier to sell this fork and get new one rct3 rather than replacing both dampers.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Keep in mind that a big part of the performance difference between the Sid RCT3 and Reba RL is also the shimmed rebound piston.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm also looking to do the same converting either a 2014 Reba RL or 2014 SID XX to RCT3. Lucky for me my LBS is going to let me test both and decide which works best and the unwanted fork already has a home so I guess it's a win win. The biggest problem is deciding what works best on my Trek Stache.

It's Our Turn!
Team RWB Colorado Springs
www.TeamRWB.org

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, let us know how do they both perform :thumbsup:
I still have some time to make my decision as my pre-ordered bike will arrive only next month.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm 95% sure that the '13 RCT3 damper will work in your fork.
You are right, that works very well. I have got a 2013 29 REBA RL with a SID RCT3 Cartridge.
No need for additional parts.
The part number is :11.4015.544.070
That works also for a 2014 Reba. Because there are no differences internally between 2013 and 2014.

For a complete 2014 setup you need different parts and also the rebound damper
11.4015.544.280 or 11.4015.544.270 (different knob colour)
and the rebound: 11.4018.025.002

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2014 Reba Rl and I am wondering how much of a difference does the sid RCT3 make compared to the stock Rl dampers. Does it soak up smaller bumps is it a more plush feel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 2014 Reba Rl and I am wondering how much of a difference does the sid RCT3 make compared to the stock Rl dampers. Does it soak up smaller bumps is it a more plush feel.
The main difference between dampers is the platform settings. Restricts oil flow to the low speed compression circuit and gives you a more stable platform for pedaling, reduces brake dive, and fork compression on corners. It's threshold is also adjustable.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts