Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converting my Trek 3900. Parts will be in tomorrow afternoon! I will post pictures of the build process and finished product when I get time.. Let me know what you think

Parts to be installed are as follows:

Race Face Ride xc ss crank & bb
Rennen spacer kit
Rennen 17t cog
Avid BB5's
Avid fr-5 levers
Panaracer Fire xc pro

here is a before pic

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I should have gone with the BB7's but I set my self on a budget when I started buying parts. BB5's are a step up from the crappy tektro novelas that come stock on the bike. My next upgrade will be the fork and saddle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pics after the conversion. I completely forgot to take pictures of the build until it was too late. After two weeks of hard riding, I have to say I couldnt be any happier with the finished product!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What did you use to eliminate using a Surly Singleator type mechanism? I am building one right now and i think the Singleator is making my chain jump under tension. Doesn't do it on the stand but out on the trail it jumps.

I like the build. Looks good!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rinker said:
What did you use to eliminate using a Surly Singleator type mechanism? I am building one right now and i think the Singleator is making my chain jump under tension. Doesn't do it on the stand but out on the trail it jumps.

I like the build. Looks good!
From what I gather getting away without a chain tensioner is hit or miss on a bike with vertical drop outs. If you dont want to use a tensioner you can try a half link, or if you are willing to change the gear ratio a bit you might try a smaller cog. If neither options work then you are stuck running a tensioner. I simply lucked out with the gear ratio I chose and didnt need either.

As far as your chain jumping under tension there are several factors that may come into play here. It sounds to me like you need to look at the chain line. Ideally your rear cog should line up with your front chain ring and chain tensioner so that the chain is in a straight line. Depending on the conversion kit you chose you may be able to fine tune your chain line and remedy this problem.

Chain tension might also be an issue. If there isnt enough tension your chain may slip. Try taking another link out of the chain.

The type of chain you are running could also be an issue. The first chain I put on was a kmc single speed chain. After installation I noticed the chain was too wide and the pins were just catching my bash guard enough to make the chain skip. I put an 8 speed chain on and solved that problem....

These are the best explanations that I can come up with just from trial and error with my own bike. I am not a guru like some of the others on here and they might be able to point you in the right direction if what I told you doesnt help.... Im a hands on kinda guy too, I can look at something and fix it no problem but its hard for me to translate into words how to do something....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.