Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been thinking about trying singlespeed for awhile now, and since the Singlespeed World Championships are coming to my town this year, I figure that this is a pretty darn good time to give it a shot.

Problem is... I don't really have much money. This is especially an issue since while I think singlespeeding will be fun and different, I'll be riding my geared bike more. The other issue is that while I don't particularly mind riding a hardtail, the idea of a rigid bike really doesn't appeal to me (my main bike is a 6 inch travel Yeti and I love suspension). I definitely want a fork. And a decent one at that.

Soooooo.... a good quality singlespeed with a suspension fork for not too much money? Doesn't sound all that likely.

But then I had another thought. I have an older (2004ish) Specialized FSR XC (4 inch travel full suspension bike). It was my first 'real' mountain bike (after riding on good quality, but very old mountain bikes for a couple years). I've thought about selling it, but I really don't want to part with it. I've heard that it's possible to convert full suspension bikes to singlespeeds (even heard about a guy who raced a Santa Cruz Nomad at the previous SSWC).
Seems like a pretty good way to breathe some life into a faithful companion and get a singlespeed out of it to boot.

So my question is, how do I do this?

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
easy......a YESS full suspension tensioner......remove all derailleurs....shifting cables......extra rings......replace cassette with spacer kit (or 1.25" PVC) and a SS ring (endless kick-ass-cogs are purty good)...and make sure you have a straight chainline.....

singled my Racer-X for the '08 season...including SSWC08....it's a nice ride ;)

·
Pin it to win it
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright it's done! Wasn't particularly hard either. Cost me about maybe 60-70$... including buying a chain tool, which I needed anyways.

All I actually ended up needing to do was buy a spacer kit (which came with a 16T cog), strip off the unnecessary parts, and use the old derailleur to keep chain tension. The YESS tensioner looks sweet, but it costs $80 with shipping and the derailleur works just as well.

So with no further ado... I present my singlespeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.