Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I was fortunate to purchase a Moots Mooto X RSL set up as a single speed.

I love it and it's a lot of fun to ride, but being in the Bay Area, we have some quite gnarly hills here. I'm usually okay mashing up hills, but it does get tiring and if I want to ride with friends with geared bikes, I feel that I'm at a disadvantage on both ups and downs (spin out).

The bike is set up with 32x18 gearing (AB Oval chainring). Does not have horizontal SS dropouts.

I'm a beginner with bike modifications and wondering how difficult it would be to add gearing. The hubs are i9 torch SS specific - read somewhere that I am limited in the amount of gears I can put on this type of hub, bc of the spacer? Can I simple get a rear derailleur and have it play well with the existing chainring?

Text White Line Colorfulness Black

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Wheel
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
slow
7,748 Posts
It looks like the frame has a derailleur hanger, so that is good news. If the rear hub is SS specific, you'll need a new hub or wheel. If you choose to go with 12 speeds on the rear, be sure to get a hub/wheel compatible with the gear system you plan to use (Shimano XTR, Sram GX, or Sram NX). You will also need a cassette, shifter, rear derailleur, and new chain that is specific to the number of gears on your cassette. You will probably have to change the chainring to a narrow-wide tooth ring. The teeth will be narrower than those of a typical SS ring because SS chains are wider.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Looks like already running a n/w ring and 10spd chain. Good to go in that respect. That hub is probly able to run double cogs for ss gearing options(or adjustment for chainline?), not a geared cassette.

Definitely a bling of a bike tho! 

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the frame has a derailleur hanger, so that is good news. If the rear hub is SS specific, you'll need a new hub or wheel. If you choose to go with 12 speeds on the rear, be sure to get a hub/wheel compatible with the gear system you plan to use (Shimano XTR, Sram GX, or Sram NX). You will also need a cassette, shifter, rear derailleur, and new chain that is specific to the number of gears on your cassette. You will probably have to change the chainring to a narrow-wide tooth ring. The teeth will be narrower than those of a typical SS ring because SS chains are wider.
Thanks! Sounds like it needs a bit of work to get it geared. I'll have to price things out to see if it makes sense

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.