Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Scott Spark 910 2021 and so far I love it!

It's 130mm front and 120mm rear.

Sometimes I wish I went with more of a tail bike with 130-150mm rear.

But since I have the Spark already, would it be worth converting the fork to a 150mm from its stock 130mm form?

Would it make the bike feel unbalanced?

Anyone running a 140-150mm fork paired with a 120mm rear bike and can comment?

Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Doing that you'll raise the bottom bracket height quite a bit and slacken the head angle and seat tube angle by about a degree. The benefits of the extra travel will be undone by having a bike that climbs and handles worse. If you want a burlier bike, sell the Spark and look at a Genius or something similar

·
Registered
165 Posts
Doing that you'll raise the bottom bracket height quite a bit and slacken the head angle and seat tube angle by about a degree. The benefits of the extra travel will be undone by having a bike that climbs and handles worse. If you want a burlier bike, sell the Spark and look at a Genius or something similar
Wouldn't increasing your Sag to match up with the same height as the previous forks work?

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to try it for a second, but I'm not one to break frames. I've had good luck staying in the +/- 20mm travel range, almost always +. I currently have 2 bikes designed for 100mm forks, both have 120 bolted to them, both ride excellent. My old niner rip was designed for 120/120, I ran 120, 130 and 140, actually wouldn't have hesitated to try 150 on that frame. If the air springs are reasonably cheap and accessible, maybe you could buy a 140 and 150? Currently at 130, if 25% sag, you're sitting putting you at 97.5mm, 140mm would ride at 105mm, only 7.5mm difference when seated, doubt most would notice difference in ride quality. 150, 15mm difference, the bike will definitely feel different, you might prefer it, might hate it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You may get better responses by posting this question in the Scott sub-forum. Running a 140mm fork is very popular on the Ibis Ripley and you can buy a Pivot Trail 429 "Enduro" with a 140mm Fox 36. The Spark looks like a similar bike, so you might really like changing the travel to 140mm.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Spark is the same frame as the 100mm RC, so at 130mm it is probably getting to the limits of what it can handle. Having owned that generation of Spark, I would not go more than the 130mm it comes with stock. It is not meant to be a rowdy trail bike like a Spur or Ripley, it is much closer to a super capable XC bike, like an Epic EVO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.