Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a monocog 29er with horizontal dropouts, I also have the cheap shimano rear derailleur that attaches to bike with no derailleur hanger. are these compatible?

I would love to run the bike 1x8 or even 3x8 . has anybody done this? is it possible to install a front deailleur?

·
Registered
2 Posts
converting a mono cog to geared

I welded a nut, that has the correct thread for the rear deraileur, to a small piece of steel and then welded the assembly to the steel frame. This allowed me to bolt on a rear deraileur. The Redline rear hub will take 3 cogs. I used 20/26/32. Just cut apart an old cassette and use whatever combination of 3 cogs that you want along with the spacers that came from the cassette. All that is left is to run a full length cable from a 9 speed shifter to the deraileur and install a longer length low limit screw so that the chain doesn't derail to the spoke side when shifting to the big cog. This is not a hard conversion and adds versatility to the mono cog.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i have one of those cheap shimano derailleurs that hook on to the axle, not a mount hole. I will try that one with a full length housing run zip tied to the frame. I have a 7 speed cassette that is 11-34 plus a decent old 7 spd brifter

anybody have any experience running something like this?

I must have some weirdo steel monocog 29er, Im running a mavic ksyrium rear road racing wheel ( 130mm ) spacing that works fine with a 2MM spacer on the non drive side. actually both front and rear work great off road, who knew????

I love singlespeeding but its so hard where I live, (SF BAY AREA) you either spin out on the flats or run a ratio too high to climb with; I think a 34 front with 11-34 7 spd in rear would do OK

thanks

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
aireguitar said:
well, i have one of those cheap shimano derailleurs that hook on to the axle, not a mount hole. I will try that one with a full length housing run zip tied to the frame. I have a 7 speed cassette that is 11-34 plus a decent old 7 spd brifter

anybody have any experience running something like this?
there is a guy on the redline forum who did what you are talking about. i think i remember him saying it worked well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Man have I been through this. Pick up a Saint derailleur, a Shimano 9spd hub/wheel, an 8 or 9spd cassette, and a shifter of the twister/rapidfire variety. Have a solid 10x1mm axle installed in the Shimano hub. Then order up one .....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=388572

Just go to this link. I did that exact thing for my snow commuter last winter. It was amazing. It inspired me to build a smaller (frame) and much nicer version of that build on a Soul Cycles Dillinger. This is a nicer quality option that really won't cost that much. The horizontal compatible Saint derailleurs go for cheap, come in Rapid Rise and Top Normal, will work with 7,8,9spd cassettes with the right shifter. It is a clean setup.

29ercat's finished product (similar to a old Rig I converted sans derailleur hanger blank.)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=391590

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i'm in the process of rounding up the parts to slap some gears on my mc. i've picked up one of the saint axle mount derailleurs from jenson for 12$ just to check it out and i also ordered the chain tug with hanger that yak recommended above.
https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3936-dmr-chain-tugs-wmech-hanger.aspx

my main goal here is to come up with a system that can easily be converted back and forth (ss - gears). i'm not looking for a full time 9 speed. therefore, i'm going to try the hanger first with a 3 speed setup. i'm going to rob a shifter, cassette, and der from another bike to test it out before buying a bunch of parts. i think all of the gears are separate in the PG970 cassette that i have. if it works, i probably won't even mess with the saint axle mount. the big question with the 3 speed is how big of a gap can i run between the gears. ultimately i would like to run a 32-21-16, but will it be able to shift between the 32-21??

to get the saint to work will require a new rear wheel (can't put a longer axle in the stock mc hub). jenson sells a 180mm axle that would work with a shimano hub for 18$. i'm not sure exactly how long of an axle it will take, but i will measure it out once i receive the saint.
axle #10 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HU407Z42-Wheels+Manufacturing+Axle.aspx
saint der (mid cage, horizontal drop) http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD703A04-Shimano+Saint+Rd-M800+Rear+Drlr+135Mm.aspx

·
you do this at my size
198 Posts
For the love of God man, WHY!?

I would think this is an excellent reason to get another bike. Each to it's own purpose.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
boom, great minds think alike. i don't post my projects or advice here seeking approval from fellow mtbr'ers. some of the other posts on this subject are lacking some details for a noob, so i thought it would be help full to share a little more info/pics, which i will do once i get the conversion complete. without holding the saint der i my hand, i'm still unsure how it attaches to the axle, but its waiting for me at home so i will know shortly.

either way, 3 or 9 spd, i should be able to switch out the gears for ss in a matter of about 10 minutes.

1. remove grip
2. remove shifter
3. cut zip-ties off cable housing and remove
4. remove long chain (power link)
5. remove chain tug/hanger and der as a unit
6. swap wheels or swap cassette/3spd for ss cog
7. install ss chain
8. reinstall stock drive side chain tug

okay . . . maybe 15 min . . .

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Exactly! I don't have the budget or the storage space for a second bike, but I could manage a second rear wheel to leave a cassette on.

That's my plan if I feel the need for more gears in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.