Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one convert a 2008 SRAM XO Rear Der long cage to a medium cage? It is practically new and do not want to spend the high $$$ again for a RD just for a shorter cage.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rsvrjimbo02 said:
Yes. The new cage will set you back about $90. Not very difficult to install either.
Any suggestions on whereabouts of obtaining these parts? Kind of quickly surfed online bike shops and found nothing. Found a guy on ebay just selling the inner but not the outer plate.

Thx

·
Registered
153 Posts
QUOTE=F.N.G]Any suggestions on whereabouts of obtaining these parts? Kind of quickly surfed online bike shops and found nothing. Found a guy on ebay just selling the inner but not the outer plate.

Thx[/QUOTE]
Universal Cycles; http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19931
Or try your LBS.

Reality is you can pick up an '08 or '09 X9 derailleur cheaper than the part, and an X0 for not much more than the part. I would buy the new derailleur.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Currently I've found that the rear cage is going for around $115 dollars. Everything has went up in price since 2008 when this thread was first started.

Your LBS can order these through QBP or BTI.

But as mentioned, an X9 derailleur is still much cheaper than a cage for an X0.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think the assy. comes with the pulley wheels as well as the cage pieces and spring.

I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't come up with replacement outer cage pieces in aluminum for the XO. With a CNC machine that should be really easy to copy and actually make stronger. Same goes for the inner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.