Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mechanically inclined but have no bike specific tools.

The stock gearing works fine for me but I don't know any different, really.

Stock is SRAM PG1020 11-36t 10spd, 24/36t.

Is there something that can be had for around $100-120 that is decent?

What are the tools I'd need... the minimum?

Any and all recommendations and tips welcome.

Thanks.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
What's your rear derailleur?

Probably you will need a set of Allen keys for the chainring bolts, a chain tool for braking the chain, a chain whip and a Shimano cassette tool for installing and remove the cassette.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your rear derailleur?

Probably you will need a set of Allen keys for the chainring bolts, a chain tool for braking the chain, a chain whip and a Shimano cassette tool for installing and remove the cassette.
Thanks. The RD is a SRAM X9 Type 2.

I've got allen keys and a chain tool.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
How much gearing do you need? You can convert to 1x just by getting a front chainring...but if you need your low gear...you'd be losing that. You can also get a 11-42 10 speed cassette and a 30T front chainring and have a somewhat low gear. That's cost a bit more than $100. The X9 can take up to a 42T out back and still function ok.

You can use this to compare gearing,

Bike Gears calculator

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Honestly I'd keep the 2X until you save enough to do it right & go 11 speed with new chain, cassette, shifter, rear D & NW ring.

I built up a used '15 153 frame & fork with 11 speed XT & love it. But thats' going to run you $230 ish.

OR keep your granny gear on the crank & 10 speed setup but remove the front D & drop the chain manually to your granny gear for those occasional long steep climbs. I've got that on my other bike & it works well. Add the NW ring & your set. Add a new chain if yours has many miles on it.

While you're at it look into the 2019 debonair air shaft for your pike. $35 & it transforms the fork.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much gearing do you need? You can convert to 1x just by getting a front chainring...but if you need your low gear...you'd be losing that. You can also get a 11-42 10 speed cassette and a 30T front chainring and have a somewhat low gear. That's cost a bit more than $100. The X9 can take up to a 42T out back and still function ok.

You can use this to compare gearing,

Bike Gears calculator
I definitely need my lowest gear. I don't use my highest gear very often.

Thanks for the link. That'll come in handy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I'd keep the 2X until you save enough to do it right & go 11 speed with new chain, cassette, shifter, rear D & NW ring.

I built up a used '15 153 frame & fork with 11 speed XT & love it. But thats' going to run you $230 ish.

OR keep your granny gear on the crank & 10 speed setup but remove the front D & drop the chain manually to your granny gear for those occasional long steep climbs. I've got that on my other bike & it works well. Add the NW ring & your set. Add a new chain if yours has many miles on it.

While you're at it look into the 2019 debonair air shaft for your pike. $35 & it transforms the fork.
How about this Shimano groupset? https://www.ebay.com/i/192851096198?chn=ps&var=492984921979

Regarding the debonair air shaft: What does it do? (I haven't kept up on much if any MTB stuff)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Shimano slx or xt is just fine. Both great.

The air shaft gives you a larger negative chamber that softens the initial stroke giving better small bump compliance and more mid stroke support. Similar to the Evol air spring in the newer Fox forks.

It helped me out because if I had recommended air pressure the fork felt harsh. In order to make it track better on small bumps I had to lower the pressure and add volume spacers. This was better than harsh but mushy in the mid stroke.

The new air shaft allowed me to increase 15 psi and remove a volume spacer while still being soft initially. Transforms the fork in a great way.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
My current bike is a 2x slx moved to 1x on 10s.

Get a:
Sunrace 11-42 cassette $57-60
NW ring, size is to you, 30t or 32t most common $20-30
Chain ring spacers ~$5
Longer chain ring bolts ~$5
10s chain in flavor of your choosing $20-30

++Remove the crank (need hex wrench and either crank removal tool or butter knife)
++Remove rings (hex wrench)
++Add new NW ring in large position, use spacers to move it over a few mm for best middle ring chain line, I don't know your set up so this may take trial and error.
++Use longer chain ring bolts as adding the spacers may necessitate them.
++Take off wheel and old cassette (need chain whip and cassette removal tool)
++Take off chain (you can keep using your existing, but if you're putting on all new gears it's worth it to spend a bit more and replace the chain with it all)
++ Install new cassette (cassette tool)
++Install crank with new NW ring (hex+butter knife)
++Install new chain (need chain tool to cut to size, then just quick link)

Tune it and go. I forgot to say you take off FD and shifter too, but that's obvious. If your X9 has no clutch then you may need a chain retention device.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.