Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, keen to swap my wheels between the Reign and a Ragley hardtail. The Reign 2 (2016) has 142mm hubs with lock nuts therefore Wolf Boostinators don't work. Does anyone have an idea of something to convert this wheel to a 148mm frame. Would a couple of 3mm sleeves either side and spacers behind the brake disc work? The frame fits a non boost crank so 3mm either side might work! Thanks everyone.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts
Would a couple of 3mm sleeves either side and spacers behind the brake disc work? The frame fits a non boost crank so 3mm either side might work! Thanks everyone.
Yep, it works great. I run this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The LBS has replied to email saying this isn't ideal and recommended I grab some boost wheels for $900 bucks. Of course. I doubt it but anyone heard of an axle shearing or getting damaged? Otherwise thanks for the help and I'll get into it!

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
Never heard of any thru-axle shearing, and I did search with my all mighty google-fu when I converted my front hub, and later my rear hub.
I'm not a fan of the washers so I prefer to replace the end caps, unfortunately this is not an option for all the hubs.

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
you can also run the 142 wheel in the boost frame and just use a shorter x12 axle (or extend the thread on your current axle if you dont mind it sticking out the drive side a quarter inch). i do not recommend this solution for FS frames, as they ruin bearings sometimes, but on a hardtail everything lines up fine.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
That's too bad that the LBS is missing out on selling you that spacer set and lying to you about needing a new wheelset. I understand why they want to tell you what would be ideal, but many, many people have been using those some variation on those washers with no problems whatsoever. Hadley even makes a boost axle and rotor spacer just for their hubs. I would avoid that shop if that's how they treat people.

Squeezing a 148 spaced frame to fit a 142 hub can work in a pinch, but it's a lousy compromise and might be bad for the frame. Not worth the risk IMO, especially when those spacers sets are so cheap and easy to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.