Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Converting Fuel EX6 07 rear to EX7 07- Possible?

Picked up an 07 trek Ex6 a few months ago... and love it!! But it's a tad little flexy at the rear :nono: Just wondering if Trek would sell the rear triangle off the Ex7 to fit to the Ex6?

Anyone done this transplant? or it is actually possible? :skep:

Paul.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just want to let you guys know that i ordered a Ex8 2007 and man o man its sweet! (just did a 50km Enduro race on it...)!..and the day after it shipped, Trek Australia email me to say that you CAN fit a ex8 rear onto a 2007 Ex6 front *doh*

Anyhow i have my new ride.. and the Ex6 is up for sale on Ebay with $1000.00 off retail :thumbsup:

Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! I have the same bike ordered, so am counting down the hours until it arrives, praying that it gets here before the weekend so I can take it out! Always reassuring to hear positive things about it anyway, best luck with it, happy riding!

Marc

·
Registered
36 Posts
No the 07 has an asymmetric swing arm and 'wide stance bearings' as shown in the 2nd picture.
Plus an 07 has seat stay pivots at the drop outs unlike an 06 which relies on seat stay flex.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The OP was talking about changing a 2007 EX6 rear triangle for a 2007 EX7 or EX8 rear triangle. This would work. The photos above show something completely different. Not only is the first photo of the carbon frame EX9.5, but the second photo also appears to be the carbon frame bike (not sure which model though).

·
Registered
36 Posts
And the answer is still NO. :madman:

An 07 EX5 or 6 is the same bonded bearing pivot/flexi seat stay swing arm as an 06 Fuel EX.
An 07 EX7 and above has wide stance press fit bearings and a seat stay pivot at the dropout.
The pictures above happen to show 06 & 07 OCLV EX 9.5's but the swing arms take the same form on an Ali frame.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks halfbee. I wasn't seeing the difference in the 4" and 5" bikes. And I couldn't find any info that showed the differences. I figured the only difference between the bikes was the rocker. Seemed to me that they'd use the same design on all frames of a specific model year, but I guess not. Maybe its a way to get rid of left-over frames from last year's bikes?

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
marcusmaximus said:
Congrats on the new purchase! I have the same bike ordered, so am counting down the hours until it arrives, praying that it gets here before the weekend so I can take it out! Always reassuring to hear positive things about it anyway, best luck with it, happy riding!

Marc
Thanks mate :) You will love the ride for sure! The propedal feature on the Fox rear just blew me away.. it climbs like a goat... i'm amazed just how light and nimble the ride is too. Be sure to mail up some pictures :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As for fitting a Ex8 to Ex6 .. i'm concerned that a Trek Rep said you can.. but you cannot... but hey i've sold it now.... and the lucky owner picked it up at a great price and they are stoked :)

Enough talking...... here it is :D I've ordered a Chris King HS so that should ship by next week :).. I got an XO rear der and cassette, XTR chain and a set of X9 shifters fitted as part of the deal at the LBS.....and I just had to get some lay back on that post!

Maybe some more bling.. like an XTR crank may materialize in the next few months to chip away a few more lbs... i feel kind of spoilt at the moment... but stoked!

Awesome ride.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.