Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 rockhopper FSR XC, and am looking to replace the stock Fox Float rear shock (1.5 x 6.5) with something a bit more plush. I have replaced the stock link with a risse 4" travel link.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
Try an AVA Sleeve on you Float

pocketplayer said:
I have an 02 rockhopper FSR XC, and am looking to replace the stock Fox Float rear shock (1.5 x 6.5) with something a bit more plush. I have replaced the stock link with a risse 4" travel link.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
You can make the stroke more linear, and usually get more "useable" travel out of your shock. Larry at Mountain High Cyclery has the best price on them.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
4 inches does not a "trail" bike make . . .

pocketplayer said:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

There is a reason that XC is in the name of the model bike you have "ITS FOR CROSS COUNTRY RIDING" The bike is ment to be light and pedal well for XC riding.

Save your money and get a different frame for your trail riding duties.

There are a number of ways to go, but remember "Trail" bikes tend to be heaver than most XC rides. So, unless you sink lots of dollars into a high-end ride, you will get a sort of heavy trail bike, not light like your FSR XC.

But, if you go pounding around on your FSR XC like its a trail bike you will likely break bolts, suspension linkages, and parts.

Trying to turn your FSR XC into a trail bike is like puting a Supercharger on a Yugo!, it just is not a benefital solution to your problem.

Get ONE "do it all" bike, or get a Trail bike and have Two bikes! Most times folks can't afford to just buy another bike, or have two bikes, but sometimes, its the best way to go.

Two key points, "Trail" bike have more suspension travel and weigh more than XC bikes, I think trail bikes are more suited to "COIL" shock suspensions, and XC bikes are more suited to "AIR" suspensions IMHO (I know some will disagree, that is why it's just my opinion).

There are a lot of great "trail" bikes out there that are great for "everyday" riding. Besides, what's better than getting a new bike!

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Why don't you sell him your Mountain Cycle....

Get the Big Hit you want and head up to Sunrise for some DH? You don't have to push uphill there, you can use their chairlift.

Cheers!

Eric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clarification

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll look into the AVA sleeve.

Can't drop another 1 to 2 g's on a dedicated trailbike at the moment. But I agree that would be the ideal situation.

I should have clarified that while I ride trails, I'm not doing any serious drops, just some roots, rocks and less than 1 foot drops. My FSR "XC" bike seems to be working fine...except that I'm not getting full travel and as a result it's not feeling sufficiently plush.

I'd appreciate any additional comments, thanks!

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Yea, I know how it is . . .

pocketplayer: First you want more "plush" travel in the rear, than maybe for just a few bucks you can upgrade your fork for a little more travel, or more "plusher" travel in the front, then you want to "push" your rear shock for better pedaling efficiency, and maybe a set of tires, and better componets . . . and pretty soon you got yourself a different bike or at least you keep telling yourself you do, but the technology is still 02' and you want 05' technology, the bicycle industry is changing very rapidly right not, in just the last few years we got all kinds of great "new and improved" things Stable-Platform shocks, Fox's ProPedal, SVP, longer travel bikes that ride like XC rigs and handle like "Trail" bikes, Dual Action Shifter/Brake levers, Disc brakes that work really well and don't cost 2 arms and 2 legs, the list goes on and on, wheels, tubless tires, 5th element shocks, etc.

Use your bike for what it is, nothing less, nothing more . . .

If you want something else - Get something else - Period

I know time, money, family, LIFE, and reality are such that we can't just go out and drop a few "G's" on a new bike whenever we want, but it doesn't matter how much you kid yourself, if you ride rougher trails, and you want a "Trail" bike you might as well make the best of what you have and save up for what you want.

Specialized didn't design the FSR XC to be "plush" it's DESIGNED to be a mid-level to higher-level XC race bike (flat bars, steep head angle, short, very linear travel) If you think you can make it into something else, best of luck to you!

Ride it for what it is, and save up for what you want.

By the way, AVA ain't gonna make your "Air" bike feel like a "Coil" bike and if you change the travel in the rear, you will change the geomerty and handling of your bike. Face Facts your bike is what it is (A very good XC bike) just save up for a Trail bike and you will be a happy man

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Eric, long time no see posts from . . .

Yea, I wouldn't mind selling my Mt. Cycle (I do like it, and it does server a purpose in my quiver/stable)

StupidGo said Specialized hasn't got anymore L Bighit's or M, or Smalls because there is going to be a redesign for 05' so even if I could find one . . . I'm not sure I don't want to wait for the new design?

Did you find a Der. protector thingie? Did you get a cartridge for your Jr. T? How do you like your bike so far?

It is for sure that you got the skills, that I haven't developed yet, need more practice on them monster trails

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
I don't know, it's worked pretty good for me.

DJBiker said:
There is a reason that XC is in the name of the model bike you have "ITS FOR CROSS COUNTRY RIDING" The bike is ment to be light and pedal well for XC riding.

Save your money and get a different frame for your trail riding duties.

There are a number of ways to go, but remember "Trail" bikes tend to be heaver than most XC rides. So, unless you sink lots of dollars into a high-end ride, you will get a sort of heavy trail bike, not light like your FSR XC.

But, if you go pounding around on your FSR XC like its a trail bike you will likely break bolts, suspension linkages, and parts.

Trying to turn your FSR XC into a trail bike is like puting a Supercharger on a Yugo!, it just is not a benefital solution to your problem.

Get ONE "do it all" bike, or get a Trail bike and have Two bikes! Most times folks can't afford to just buy another bike, or have two bikes, but sometimes, its the best way to go.

Two key points, "Trail" bike have more suspension travel and weigh more than XC bikes, I think trail bikes are more suited to "COIL" shock suspensions, and XC bikes are more suited to "AIR" suspensions IMHO (I know some will disagree, that is why it's just my opinion).

There are a lot of great "trail" bikes out there that are great for "everyday" riding. Besides, what's better than getting a new bike!

5 inches front and back. I consider it a trail bike definately not an XC racer. I don't huck off things or do stuff like that. I would consider that more of a free ride territory. For me, a trail bike is a bike with 4-5 inches of travel and pedals well uphill and is a blast coming down. That's what this bike does for me, and it weighs a touch over 28lbs.

Pocket player, if you ride does not have dropout bearings, look into those. MRP and BETD both have kits.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
Originally posted by DJBiker
By the way, AVA ain't gonna make your "Air" bike feel like a "Coil" bike and if you change the travel in the rear, you will change the geomerty and handling of your bike. Face Facts your bike is what it is (A very good XC bike) just save up for a Trail bike and you will be a happy man[/QUOTE]

If you goal is to get more useable travel, get the AVA sleeve. No it won't make if feel like a coil, but you don't need a coil on your trailbike. 5.5 doesn't have a coil, Yeti 575 doesn't have a coil, nor does the regular or long travel Switchblade. Even the new Enduro's don't have coils. Air shock technology is getting alot better. The AVA will be a tremendous improvement, run it in the biggest air voloume setting and you will achieve your goal of more travel used.

BTW, your frame is the same as my 99 FSR XC. If fact, I have an 01 Rockhopper seatstay for the IS Disc brake mount on mine. And you certainly CAN turn it into a longer travel trail bike. You've seen first hand what the Risse link did for your ride.

The frame is definately strong enough, they are well built frames. I've run this set up for two seasons now. In fact, our front triangles are the same as the first Enduro's. The only difference in the way they mount the hardware to the triangle for the rear end.

Your next step is to go AVA sleeve, and then I would get it pushed when you need it rebuilt in a season or two.

Good Luck and enjoy your Trailbike.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Uh-Huh

DJBiker said:
Yea, I wouldn't mind selling my Mt. Cycle (I do like it, and it does server a purpose in my quiver/stable)

StupidGo said Specialized hasn't got anymore L Bighit's or M, or Smalls because there is going to be a redesign for 05' so even if I could find one . . . I'm not sure I don't want to wait for the new design?

Did you find a Der. protector thingie? Did you get a cartridge for your Jr. T? How do you like your bike so far?

It is for sure that you got the skills, that I haven't developed yet, need more practice on them monster trails
Yes, there is a new design, here it is...
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/demo8_05_04.php

Got the derailleur guard at Rage, paid $40 for $2 worth of aluminum, but it works. Have not decided on the cartridges yet, may just buy an 888 or Monster T when the 2004's go on clearance for the 2005 products. Like the bike a lot, had a great time with the gang at Sunrise last weekend, and S Mtn the week before that. Not even jealous of a new design, the 4 bar works great.

Happy Trails -

ER

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
I don't think the demo 8 is going to replace the Bighit

I think it is just an addition to the Demo line (but I'm not sure)

Anyway, even I wanted to get an 04' Bighit Expert, I can't find one in a large anywhere in the state of AZ and like I said, most dealers are telling me Specialized is out of stock, so again even if I wanted . . .

I need more practice on some trails to improve my skills . . . and after a few years I might be able to ride with you guys some time. In the mean time I will be saving my pennies for our trip to Mammoth Mt. for some fun resort riding (and some skill drills to improve) but mostly fun, fun, fun

cheers

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Oh, I agree . . .

S-Works said:
5 inches front and back. I consider it a trail bike definately not an XC racer. I don't huck off things or do stuff like that. I would consider that more of a free ride territory. For me, a trail bike is a bike with 4-5 inches of travel and pedals well uphill and is a blast coming down. That's what this bike does for me, and it weighs a touch over 28lbs.
I think the FSR XC is a fine, great, bike there is nothing wrong with the bike at all. Don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is from my experience, I've watched guys break the lower swingarm at the lightening hole (that hole just behind the bottom bracket and just behind the swingarm berrings) and break lower shock mounting bolts, and crack welds at the seat tube area and so on.

I have a bike that isn't "exactly" what I want, sure I could buy a new shock and this thing and that and "try" to make it into what I want, but the reality of it is that my goal would be better served by saving my cash and getting what I want.

Have you ever heard the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" well that's what I'm saying. Sure it's easy to kid yourself and talk yourself into thinking that putting a new shock and a bering kit on a bike is going to change the head angle, overall geomerty and handling charicteristics of the bike (it's too late for me to try to figure out how to spell right not) you get the idea.

It's a great bike, nothing wrong with the bike, all I'm saying is that it wasn't designed to be a 5 x 5 if it was Specialized would have specd it that way. Much the same way the Epic isn't designed for anything other than "all out XC riding and Racing"

So if someone asked about putting a long travel kit on an Epic would that make any sense???

No, it wouldn't. This is much the same, just not quite as simple black and white, cut and dry, oblivious because the FSR XC falls between product lines (the Epic line and the Enduro line)

So again, I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but if you would just face the fact . . .

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
This already happened to me.....

DJBiker said:
I think the FSR XC is a fine, great, bike there is nothing wrong with the bike at all. Don't get me wrong, all I'm saying is from my experience, I've watched guys break the lower swingarm at the lightening hole (that hole just behind the bottom bracket and just behind the swingarm berrings) and break lower shock mounting bolts, and crack welds at the seat tube area and so on.

The swingarm crack. Specialized replaced it under warranty within one week with one that is much stronger. This is a known issue for this frame. The Specialized Rep was actually at the LBS when I brought it in. He loved what I'd done to the bike, (BETD Link and Talas) and compared it to what they do now with the current stumpy's. (This was year and a half ago)

I specifically asked him if running the BETD link in Five inches will void the warranty, he said no, and he'd be very surprised if the frame broke. He said my frame is very strong. He also said not problem with the Talas. The headtude area is reinforced and very strong as well. He said compare your headtube area to a Turner 5-Spot. Almost identical.

So, like I said, it works for me. And I'm very happy with my ride.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

S-works,
That seatstay of yours did look strangely familiar. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the AVA sleeve. Out of curiosity, how much does your FSR weigh?

·
Paper or plastic?
9,984 Posts
S-Works, I have almost the same set up as yours (99 FSR XC S-Works with 4" Risse Racing link and BETD seatstay, front Talas coming up later this summer). BTW, a fellow rider tried my bike and loved the rear plushness.

Do you know how many miles you put on the bike before the rear swingarm failed? My bike has about 1200 miles on it, I'm 160# and I ride quite gently. I'm just wondering whether I should brace myself for it or not, especially since BETD makes one sweet looking swingarm.

Thanks for the answer.

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
pocketplayer said:
S-works,
That seatstay of yours did look strangely familiar. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the AVA sleeve. Out of curiosity, how much does your FSR weigh?

It's a touch over 28 lbs. Very quick and manuverable. The frame loves the increased travel, as you have discovered.

Good luck

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
zorg said:
S-Works, I have almost the same set up as yours (99 FSR XC S-Works with 4" Risse Racing link and BETD seatstay, front Talas coming up later this summer). BTW, a fellow rider tried my bike and loved the rear plushness.

Do you know how many miles you put on the bike before the rear swingarm failed? My bike has about 1200 miles on it, I'm 160# and I ride quite gently. I'm just wondering whether I should brace myself for it or not, especially since BETD makes one sweet looking swingarm.

Thanks for the answer.
I don't know how many miles I had on it. I don't jump off things etc. so it was a surprise to me when I found the crack. But it is a known problem on this frame, and I got excellent warranty service. I just had to pay the LBS $20 for the install. Specialized requires a dealer to do the warranty work.

The new swingarm is very strong. They doubled the material around where the original crack appeared. I had to take my crank off to find the crack, it was very small.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fsr-xc 5 X 5

DJBiker said:

I have a bike that isn't "exactly" what I want, sure I could buy a new shock and this thing and that and "try" to make it into what I want, but the reality of it is that my goal would be better served by saving my cash and getting what I want.

Have you ever heard the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" well that's what I'm saying. Sure it's easy to kid yourself and talk yourself into thinking that putting a new shock and a bering kit on a bike is going to change the head angle, overall geomerty and handling charicteristics of the bike (it's too late for me to try to figure out how to spell right not) you get the idea.

I have a 99 FSR-XC that I have been building slowly but surely into a trail bike.

BETD link (4-6 inch adjustable)
2005 TALAS Fork (130mm) RLC (Got from friend who works at LBS)
2005 Pro-Pedal Float rear shock " " "
AVID Disc brakes
Factory replaced rear swingarm (much stronger).
Short stem/ Riser bars
2.3 Trailbike tires.

I broke the original swingarm doing medium sized drops to flat. (Gave that up, trannys are where it's at). I have a Bullit to huck with now.
I love the FSR. It doesnt have the slack head angle like my Bullit, but it's not steep like a Cross Country bike either. I have a blast riding the FSR, it weighs 10 lbs less than my Bullit, and I go everywhere my big-buck, "modern" trailbike buddies go.

IMHO, my bike is just as good as most modern 5 x 5 trailbikes out there, and I didnt have to mortgage the farm to build it.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
'99 SJ FSRxc w/ MRP (3"x3.5") & '03 SJ FSR w/ BETD (5"x5")

Just found out about MTBR's "Manufacturer Forum" - I didn't know about this until last night (duh!) :eek:
(And look whom I find here... :) Hi, S-Works, good to see you here!)

Anyway, here's my FSRxc story...

I used to have a ''99 StumpJumper FSRxc w/ MRP (3"/Marz Atom 80 x 3.5"/MRP) - pic below. With this setup, I'd gone for some up-to-3-footers air's/drops. (I'm only 150lbs + 15lbs/gear.) Boy, I was ever-so envious of S-Works nicely putting a BETD link on his '99 FSRxc instead. Anyway, with this bike, first I got a crack line near the infamous "pinky hole" on chainstay (just near the BB / main pivot), like everybody else did. Speciazlied sent me new chainstay, which was exactly the same as the stock one I cracked (instead of the newer silver replacement chainstay piece with smaller "pinky holes" that S-Works received as replacement). Needless to say, then I cracked it in the same spot again. This time, they sent me a yet even newer & beefier black replacement chainstay piece with smaller "pinky holes". No, I didn't crack this chainstay piece, but then I got a crack line near the seat-tower. By then, the MRP link had crack lines all over the place, too, so I guess it was a matter of time. (The folks at MRP couldn't do anything for my cracked linkage, just FYI.)

Thankfully, this time Specialized gave me a whole new '03 StumpJumper FSR frame as a replacement. (I still think it's basically a "FSRxc", but they called it just "FSR" in '03, until they had 2 diffrent "FSR" & "FSRxc" in '04.) They're not kidding when they say "life-time warranty" on their frames. Anyway, I made sure that I went with BETD this time (especially after all that envy), and I haven't regretted it since. (The folks at BETD are helpful & responsive via email.) So, I'm now set up with 5"x5", thanks to a TALAS fork & a BETD linkage - pic below (30.1lbs). I really enjoy this setup, and I agree with S-Works that 5"x5" for FSR/FSRxc can be nicely set up as an all-around / trail bike (or whatever one calls it). It surely works for me & my weight & my riding style & the local trails here.

After 750 miles, I haven't cracked anything so far..., yet. But if anything were to crack, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be the BETD linkage, but rather somewhere in the rear triangle again. With this setup, I finally started to have some guts for up-to-4-footers air's/drops - pic below. With 5"x5", my bike seems surprisingly confident/comfortable/capable (thanks to TALAS & BETD & 185mm rotors) for a lot more stuff, while I also try to ride/air/land smoothly on my part (well, as much I can, you know). However - this - I feel that I might be pushing it a bit much now. I probably won't "get away with it" for long, even for my light 150lbs weight. So, in that sense, I agree with DJBiker - now I should probably start looking for something else (ie. Heckler, Saber, Preston-FR) for my new trail targets (if I want to keep this up & more), as I realize that I'm reaching the "point" of needing to do so.

Anyway, the important thing is this, in my opinion... The "point" of needing to look for a different frame is totally dependent on each rider's weight, riding style, smoothness, local trails, aimed stunts/usages/needs, etc. Everyone progresses year after year, but also towards different directions (ie. some for bigger/FR stuff, while others for faster/XC racing stuff, or whatever else). For some folks on certain trails, a 5"x5"-setup FSRxc can be perfectly competent/sufficient (like it has been for me, going both uphill & downhill), while it may not for other riders/situations. Each person simply has to realize how much one can safely/comfortably get away with a "beefed-up" FSR/FSRxc. Pushing "a bit" is OK - I'm sure the bike can take it. But pushing "too much" is obviously not. And these are all relative & vague terms, so what's "OK" vs "too much" depends uniquely on each rider & his/her needs.

On top of all that, as we all know it, everybody's definition of "trail ride" or "all-mountain" or "aggro-XC" or "do-it-all" (or whatever else) are all perceived differently to begin with. ;)

Anyway, I'm no "guru" here, but I thought I'd share my story & thoughts.
Good luck & have fun!
- PiroChu

Attachments

·
Team Blindspot
2,986 Posts
Hi Pirochu..

Absolutely agree with you! The 5x5 works great for me, and will for a long time because I don't jump off things and stress the frame in that manner.(remember the whole broken hip thing!) I'm a bit less aggressive descending, I just like having fun riding up the mountian and coming down it in one piece. That's what it's all about for me. Plus my 11 year old has started to ride with me, he can't get up the mountain yet. He can't believe how hard it is, but he's getting better every ride.

Glad your BETD is working out so well. MRP's link, as it turns out, is very weak. BETD much stronger with more adjustment options.

Later

1 - 20 of 64 Posts