Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding an '06 Paragon w/ a Reba+lockout or 2 seasons. Considering converting from to geared steel frame + rigid fork.

Thinking about the Vassago Bandersnatch (but open to suggestions) ;) .

Can anyone who has ridden Bandersnatch, or other comparable steel frame comment on what differences in ride I should expect?

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
flat_chipmunk said:
Been riding an '06 Paragon w/ a Reba+lockout or 2 seasons. Considering converting from to geared steel frame + rigid fork.

Thinking about the Vassago Bandersnatch (but open to suggestions) ;) .

Can anyone who has ridden Bandersnatch, or other comparable steel frame comment on what differences in ride I should expect?
You should be able to demo a Bandersnatch at Trail Edge in Plymouth. I love my steel Salsa El Mariachi. The ride quality is sublime and I prefer it to the ride quality of the geared Niner which I believe is the only other steel 29er I've ridden..

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
My fav (but I'm biased) is the Redline Flight framset. Vastly different from my same-size Paragon, and I'm loving the difference. Not that I dislike the Paragon, it's just a totally different beast. My Paragon is a bit dull and unpersonal, the Flight is a joy. Between them, there's over an inch of top tube difference, much less in front center length.
It's almost G2, if you will, and will work with a longer offset suspension fork as are becoming the new standard. You Reba will work in it too though, making the bike handle quite stabily.

Check out the posts and reviews.

G

·
Really it will come down to fit. The Vassago has a unique geometry. Salsa also has a unique geometry. Niner bikes are very quick handling. You could also look at a Gunnar rockhound which is a cool choice too.

Niner - Reynolds 853 Tubing made in Taiwan
Salsa - True Temper Ox Plat Made in Taiwan
Gunnar - True Temper Ox Plat Made in USA
Vassago - Private label Cromoly - Made overseas ???

Come visit Ride Boutique and I will take you through a couple of options. I have a couple of Niner demo bikes built up in the shop too.

Chad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.