Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Formula QR hub that came on my 2006 Jamis Dakar, but I want to get a 20mm TA. Is it possible to convert it or will I just have to buy a new hub? I did a search here but I could only find threads about other hubs.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one quick last question. If i were to switch to a 20mm would I need to get a new wheel, or can they just swtich it out for the old one ( i know its not that easy )

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
if you get a 20mm hub you would just need to have your wheel relaced, that might require new spokes. you can keep your current rim. you do have a 20mm compatible fork dont you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my Heckler, so I'm seeing if I do put a 20mm ta on it, if I will have to do anything major or if it will cost a lot too. I'm just preparing incase I go with one or if I stick with the standard QR dropout fork. How much does getting a rim relaced usually cost?

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
joe.MTB said:
one quick last question. If i were to switch to a 20mm would I need to get a new wheel, or can they just swtich it out for the old one ( i know its not that easy )
Many wheel builders will not re-use a used rim. They can be much tougher to tension properly (evenly) which can result in a weak wheel.

I would get an entirely new wheel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to a mechanic today and I'm probably just going to get a new rim and have them rebuild it with a 20mm hub. Should I have them re-do the front rim or both?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
joe.MTB said:
I talked to a mechanic today and I'm probably just going to get a new rim and have them rebuild it with a 20mm hub. Should I have them re-do the front rim or both?
There is no functional reason to have the front and rear rims match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.