Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to convert my Giant TRX Rear SRAM XD freehub to a Shimano Microspline freehub (basically want want to change the SRAM NX group to a new XT 12 speed group).

Can I just buy a Microspline freehub and replace the XD freehub with it, and then swap out the SRAM shifters and derailleur with the Shimano XT parts?

I think just changing the freehub will be much cheaper then selling my wheelset and buying a new Microspline wheel set.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If you have a hub that has an easily swapable freehub, i.e. uses end caps and pressed in caged bearings from brands DT Swiss or Industry9 (or any manufacturer who uses/licanses their hub mecahnism) and maybe a few others (haven't kept up on the Shimano micro spline licensing debacle), then yes it's that simple, if however you have another brand or a Shimano hub (MS AFAIK is not backwards compatible for Shimano), then you'll need a new hub.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise. The hub is actually a Giant TRX 1 Hub. The website shows:

Rear Hub Type: DT 360 6-bolt Disc, Pawl Driver, Shimano
(Compatible with SRAM drivetrain using optional XD driver bodies)

It says Shimano, and it says DT, so it might be compatible, but I think I will have to verify with Giant.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Thanks for the advise. The hub is actually a Giant TRX 1 Hub. The website shows:

It says Shimano, and it says DT, so it might be compatible, but I think I will have to verify with Giant.
The pawl-drive DT hubs are different from the ratchet-drive. I suspect they will produce a microspline option soon for them, but as of right now, it's just the ratchet-drive freehub.

There are slim pickings for microspline-ready wheels, currently. Shimano's own hubs are available, of course (XTR/"Black"/XT, currently, with others to follow in the next few months), but nothing you can buy from them already assembled. The quickest way to accomplish a microspline-compatible wheel is simply to buy a hub that matches your rim drilling, and either build it yourself, or have someone else do it. For what it's worth, Shimano's hubs are reasonably priced (even XTR, now that it doesn't use titanium), and from XTR down to SLX, all use the new drive system that is quite quick engaging.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Yes you are correct.

Dt Swiss make the hubs for giant. That why I mentioned the dt Swiss originally. So you definitely have a dtswiss hub.

However it's the 3pawl system vs the ratchet system.

Dt Swiss make Shimano 10/11sp bodies and Sram xd bodies for their hubs in both ratchet and pawl.

However at this point only the ratchet version of the microspline is available.

If you wanted to run the new xt you can do a mix of Sram Gx eagle cassette (on xd freehub) and the rest as the new xt 12 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, now I know. If I use the GX cassette, I assume I would run the SRAM chain and not the new HG+ chain, correct?

Also, how is the shifting on the GX cassette with GX chain, vs. the XT cassette with XT chain?

Besides the thumb/index finger shifting of Shimano, I also feel their 3x8 shifting was great. How is the 1x12 shifting the the GX vs. XT HG+ shifting? Is Shimano still a better shifting group, or is the GX almost the same as the XT?

·
Registered
505 Posts
As far as I remember, the DT Swiss 370 (OP mentions 360) can be upgraded to the ratchet system by buying the freehub and the ratchet. Then obviously the freehub should be micro spline. Appears that the sealing is not best:
https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/dt-swiss-3-pawl-370-hub-convertible-star-ratchet-1065125.html

Oh, wait. There's a conversion kit that seems to keep the pawl system, with micro spline: https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/conversion-charts/rotor-kits-mtb-shimano-micro-spline/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a response from DT about it:

Thanks for the email. The 3-pawl MicoSpline freehub is currently shipping to our distributors, and will be available soon.

Shimano MTB Micro Spline XTR Freehub body kit

ROTOR KIT SS12 148/142/12 3-Pawl - HWYABM00S4934S

BTI # DT-0408

J&B # 371232

Your preferred local bike shop should be able to order one of these from BTI or J&B (our distributors).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.