Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing out the brake/shift levers and want to upgrade from cantilever to V-brakes. Its a Klein Rascal with internal cable routing. Is it possible to route a v-brake cable without it looking really bad? If so, got pics?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Klein_Christopher said:
NO just run it like it was made to no need to change a thing.
well, technically it was made to run cantis.

so how do you start the cable housing needed for vbrakes where the cable exits the top tube near the post? do you cut the clear plastic klein cable guide short, pull it out all together? i read where someone else said there was no good way to do it, so not to bother.

anyone have pics?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,764 Posts
I'd Say Leave It

Cantilevers provide just as good if not better braking power than "V-Brakes"

There is an official, although very rare I've heard, Klein adapter piece to allow the use of a rear V-Brake. The other alternative is to drill out the frame a bit so a piece of housing will fit. Or use a clamp on cable stop.

Here's The cleanest option
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3493671#poststop

EDIT: Nevermind about the official adapter. It was meant for different Klein frames.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's conclusion I've been coming to. The inner cable exits the frame in the cable sleeve rather than into a standard housing. I think cables run like a WalMart bike ruin that frame -- I'd rather stick with cantis. Cantis do work very well, just a pain to adjust.

The only reason I was considering new brakes is that I'm swapping out levers/shifters and they harder to find. I might also be swapping out the MIssion Control bar/stem for a riser to change the position... but that's another topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.