Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow GT Owners!

I ran a few searches in here, drivetrain forum, and general forum but didn't find what I was searching for. I use my Avalanche for paved and hard packed paths, was interested in converting it to a single speed setup. I found a couple kits for the rear cog on Jenson one is half the price of the other, single speed chain is only $5.99.

My question to those who have done this is:

1. The setup is currently an 8 speed chain, rear cog/gear kit says compatible with an 8 speed chain. Do I need the single speed chain and tensioner they recommend?

2. What do I do with the front crankset? I've taken the big ring off my AM bike, is this similar but I just need to take off the granny sprocket too?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Assuming you are not using eccentric bottom bracket (EBB), you will need a tensioner, else you drop your chain with every bump and crank rotations. If using on flats, then 2:1 is a good start. Meaing rear teeth * 2 = front teeth, 16:32 as 32 chain ring is very common. Take off small and big rings. Visit SS forum and you'll get more specific answers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
whoa krazy long time no see man. I've been on MTBR since the 90s (h-t days)

I have an old GT RTS with a SS setup. You don't have to use a SS chain, I've had 0 problems using a regular SRAM (and previously Shimano Mega9 chain).

I had an old chain tensioner that broke, and now I use an old Deore XT rear der. for chain tension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.