Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started biking a couple months ago and now I find myself not using the majority of gears. I want to convert my triple chainring to a 1x9 setup with an e13 lg-1 chainguide. How do I go about doing this? Do I just take the largest and smallest chainring off the cranks and thats it? I have a shimano SLX crankset. Thanks!!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Yes...

first.hander said:
I just started biking a couple months ago and now I find myself not using the majority of gears. I want to convert my triple chainring to a 1x9 setup with an e13 lg-1 chainguide. How do I go about doing this? Do I just take the largest and smallest chainring off the cranks and thats it? I have a shimano SLX crankset. Thanks!!
Basically, yes. You'll need a couple of things:

1. A single speed specific middle ring that doesn't have shift ramps. If you keep your stock middle ring, the chain is going to try and shift on you from time to time.

2. You'll need some shorter chainring bolts.

You could get by without a new ring but you'll be happier with a ring without shift ramps.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
for now you can use the stock middle ring... pick up a bash gaurd and "3rd eye" i think it's called... that'll keep your chain from falling off either side of the chain ring... then remove your front shifty bits... shifter, derailleur, cable...

if you choose to stay with it you can shorten your chain a tad and pick up a pinless/rampless chain ring...

if you look over in the drivetrain forum there is a HUGE thread about 1x9 setups... one of these days i'll have enough power to dump my granny... but right now i'm rocking a 2x9... middle/granny up front

·
Lurker
152 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the 1x9 thread in drivetrain fo' sho'.

donalson said:
one of these days i'll have enough power to dump my granny... but right now i'm rocking a 2x9... middle/granny up front
Or just move on down here to Houston where we have no use for the granny gear.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
...I'm in FL... i shouldn't need it... actualy on one bike i dont seem to have a prob with out it... on the other the day gets VERY long if i don't have it... don't know if it's differences in the drivetrain, geometry... or what... but it is a 29er... and i am hauling a LOT of extra weight...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.