·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trail bike with:
100mm fork
29 inch 2.25 tires
760mm handlebars

Does it worth to convert it to an XC mtb or I should sell it and buy an XC bike instead?

If it worths converting, what should I change in order to became an XC mtb?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
100mm fork
29 inch 2.25 tires
760mm handlebars

Does it worth to convert it to an XC mtb or I should sell it and buy an XC bike instead?

100mm of travel is already XC, I don't know why you classified it as a trail bike. Also, the lack of mention of rear shock travel suggests that this is a hardtail, which at 100mm of front fork travel, points to your bike being an XC bike.
2.25" tires are considered slightly slower tires for XC, but the tread pattern is more important, imho.

Aside from that, you did not provide your current drivetrain specs, but tbh, any drivetrain is XC-worthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I'd add a dropper post and call it good.
I quit racing XC a few years back, gave my bike to my wife. I'm kinda getting the XC bug again and thinking of building up another XC bike. FS, 120mm travel minimum, 2.25 tires, wide bars and a dropper. Unless I'm racing pro UCI races, which I'm not( I'd race cat 1 50+), this bike will work out perfect

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
100mm fork
29 inch 2.25 tires
760mm handlebars

As already mentioned, 100 mm isn't typically considered trail. But more importantly, what's it geometry like? Head tube angle? Chain stay length? Seat tube angle?

Brand/model frame?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,214 Posts
How is this a trail bike?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Pretty much by any metric I can think of, that would qualify as an XC bike. For XC racing, you might consider going clipless. But if you're just starting out racing, just race, then decide what you want to do after you gain some experience.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,162 Posts
How is this a trail bike?
For some strange reason, some people are convinced that anything that is ridden on MTB trails is a "trail"bike, and that XC bikes are something...other than that.

Also, a "trail" bike, per many people, can be anything from a 100 to 160mm bike; I've seen bikes like the SB100, Blur TR, etc thrown into that category, as well as bikes like the SB150.

Which is just nonsense, of course.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yeah, pretty much an XC bike. There's really no 'converting' it to a trail bike. It is what it is. Now, that doesn't mean you can't ride it on a trail. Before we had "trail" bikes, that's just what we did. Rode our XC bikes on everything.

So, what can you do to make it more "trail-ish"?

- Fatter tires.
- Dropper post.
- Bigger disks for more stopping, if needed.
- A taller stem to raise your upper body up a little maybe.
- Longer fork to rake it up and back, which artificially slackens the head tube and seat tube a little. Also moves your center of gravity back slightly.

While this won't make it a trail bike, it may feel a little more like one, and maybe be a little more playful. I did the above (less dropper and disks) to my daughters Gary Fisher Tassajara GS a while back. It made it more playful, and a little more confident on more technical trails. But, still not a true trail geo/design.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Bars ends... it needs bar ends. And you need spandex. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: BATRG3

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,214 Posts
If you were looking to get competitive with racing, training first, but a light carbon-fiber-rim wheelset is usually a good investment, choose your tubeless tires carefully to be strong enough, but also light, and you can save some significant rotational weight.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.