Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine caught a stick in his wheel last night and mangled his rear derailler. To finish the ride he shortened the chain and rode the rest of the ride SS and loved it, so now wants to convert it to SS properly. He's come to me for help.

Has anyone found a magic gear with the Phoenix? I've searched the archives, but haven't found much of anything. I'm not sure how long the chainstays are, but they've got to be measured so precisely before the fixmeup calculator will work right, I figure any personal experiences will be more helpful.

Thanks.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Sac up, man.

Hey Brian, if your friend can't afford an ENO hub, he shouldn't be on that frame. Get a decent pair of WI hubs (black ones on sale in pairs at Bikeman.com 120.00 as I recall) and build up a sweet tubeless set. This way, if he ever goes back, he can just swap the parts back. If he's riding a Ti pheonix and he can't afford that, he should trade me that pheonix for my Bontrager.....

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lutarious said:
If he's riding a Ti pheonix and he can't afford that, he should trade me that pheonix for my Bontrager.....
Haha...I actually think you too are about the same size...he's been on this bike for nearly 10 years, ridden the C R A P out of it, and has just finished building up an Ibis Mojo, so I am guessing probably doesn't have a ton of coin left to drop into this unplanned project.

I checked out Bikeman but 1) they're non-disc he needs disc and 2) they don't show as being on sale anymore. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
All Knowing Brian?

I checked out Bikeman but 1) they're non-disc he needs disc and 2) they don't show as being on sale anymore. Thanks for the tip though.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying you didn't already know about this deal at Bikeman? I thought you were savvy to all things concerning two wheeled deals. You slippin' mang. :D

Kevin

P.S.

·
donkey
263 Posts
a guy i ride with (xmynameisdan) had an eccentric disc and it works out pretty well. he rides a castellano fango (a soft tail), so he has some chain growth issues -- other than that its good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.