Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Surly Cross Check complete and I am not liking the bar end shifters for trail riding. It is a 2x9 drive train with a Shimano Deore rear derailleur and a Sora front.

What components do I need to switch this to STI shifters?

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you want to keep it 9 speed, which is the cheapest option, you will need 9 speed shifters (shimano), new bar tape, and likely new cables and housing for at least shifters/derailleurs, if not brakes as well (these depend on what generation shifters you get). Current sora is 9 speed, or you can go to previous generation tiagra; they can be found nos on Ebay.

If you want higher end, current generation stuff, you are looking at 10 speed for tiagra out 105. To do that, you would also need a cassette in addition to the other supplies.

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

·
powered by peanut butter.
878 Posts
If you want to keep it 9 speed, which is the cheapest option, you will need 9 speed shifters (shimano), new bar tape, and likely new cables and housing for at least shifters/derailleurs, if not brakes as well (these depend on what generation shifters you get). Current sora is 9 speed, or you can go to previous generation tiagra; they can be found nos on Ebay.

If you want higher end, current generation stuff, you are looking at 10 speed for tiagra out 105. To do that, you would also need a cassette in addition to the other supplies.

Yep. I put Tiagra shifters on my CC (w/ an SLX rear and Deore front). They work very well, I think. My Tiagras worked just fine with two pairs of canti brakes and now with TRP's.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is no need to change brakes; the stock ones are fine and compatible with short-pull (road calipers/cantilevers/road disc) levers. Set up right, cantilever brakes work great. Sorry if My initial post was confusing; I was referring to the brake cables/housing, not the mechanism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts