Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er last summer in a raffle and gifted the bike to my girl since I already had a 13 Mamba. Long story short, she doesn't like it and wanted me to have it back. So I was looking at making it into a rigid street/rail trail cruiser. I have some alt bars and a stem that would replace the stockers but I was having trouble picking a budget steel fork and tires, I would like to have cyclocross type tires on it for rail trail duty and either something like a Salsa or Surly steel rigid fork. The lack of a lock out and the dead weight of the suntour up front means I'd just like to ditch the fork and grab something steel. Any recommendations?

I already have a few trail ready bikes but no city type bikes so I figured I'd transform this one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What doesn't she like about the Hardrock? Getting a steel rigid fork and cyclocross tires are a good idea, but I would suggest figuring out what she doesn't like and go from there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She didn't like the handling and pedaling sluggishness vs her 2012 Lush. I'm cool with the fact she tried it but she prefers 26" tired bikes. So like I said the Hardrock is mine again and rather then have it collect dust as a mountain bike, I'd make it into a rail trail cruiser. I know nothing about the steel forks, which would be ideal? What a some good budget cyclocross tires?

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is the ideal, not cheap though:

What you have mentioned are good choices on a budget I'd look at the Kona P2 as well.

Tires are tricky, I'm running these Michelins on a bike I built to do what you are looking at.

Great in the woods but absolutely awful on the street.

Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You know, a mechanic recommended some Kenda Kwicks to replace those Michelins, maybe that would be a good choice for you.

I ordered some DJ tires instead but I don't think that's an option in 700c.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The P2 looks like a sweet deal, I really like that fact that it's plain jane without all the bottle holders. I was looking at Kenda Happy Medium Cyclocross Tire, realizing that it would be a compromise both ways.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Or you can post a for trade on craigslist to score a cross bike which it sounds like you are trying to turn the hard-rock into.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought about that but I'm really not going to get a cross bike for what the Hardrock is worth plus the dollar value of the tires and fork added in (est $350). Craigslist in my area is real spotty at best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts