Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spectre said:
What's the best way of converting a triple chainring crankset to a single chainring? Can I use a washer to compensate for the lack of a chainring?
You can, I've recently done it, the only problem is that crank bolts are a bit fatter than your average washer. I would suggest taking one of the bolts with you to a good hardware store (shop if your in the UK ;-)) and they should be able to sort you out with something that will fit and away you go.

Happy riding ;-)

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
I use the bolts from the granny ring. The sleeve is still just a little bit long, so I also turn the middle ring around.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
you can, but since you're heading out....

Spectre said:
What's the best way of converting a triple chainring crankset to a single chainring? Can I use a washer to compensate for the lack of a chainring?
...to the hardware store as others suggest to find the perfect-sized washers, why not pop in at the closest shop that sells BMX* bikes instead, and pick up a set of proper length bolts? They'll look more sano than using washers.

*or any place that carries track bikes, or fixed-gear time trial bikes, understand you folks are big on that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you turn the middle ring around you may be putting more stress on the ring/crank connection, generating a bunch of squeaks and whatnot. Don't ask how I know :)

Two possible solutions are the single ring bolts or a bash guard in place of the big ring.

Maurice

·
Fat Boy Deluxe
409 Posts
Spectre said:
You know, the issue I had recently was with a pair of Deore cranks. It wasn't so much a problem with the bolts, but the bolt sleeve. It stuck out past the chainring, so even if you tightened the bolt all the way to the lip of the sleeve, you end up with a loose chainring...

DT

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I installed a Salsa ring to my Deore cranks and the regular bolts fitted properly. The Salsa ring is more expensive than washers or bolts but works great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I used washers from the hardware store on my recently completed ss and it's worked good so far. I do check them after each ride to make sure they are still tight. They got quite loose after my first ride.

·
Registered
338 Posts
one solution. Got a worn ring you don't use??? then

cut off the tabs where the bolt holes are and use those as spacers. I used an old aluminium road ring for one of my SS bikes. Not sano, but the size is correct.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Many choices

For my first conversion I used 10mm split washers (stays tight). Later I used a bash guard with regular bolts.

·
Fat Boy Deluxe
409 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
I installed a Salsa ring to my Deore cranks and the regular bolts fitted properly. The Salsa ring is more expensive than washers or bolts but works great.
The Salsa ring must be thicker then. I might have one of those laying around so I'll try it. Just sucks to actually remember to get the spacers when your at the shop, only to get home and not have them fit. Of course, the cranks also left out the crank bolts and the v-brake I got also didn't come with any noodle hardware.

DT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts