Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changes in handling/etc. would I get if I converted my 2001 or 2002 era On-One from a 26" bike to a 96er (29 inch wheel on front). Currently has a RockShox SID on it, which would be changed to a 29 inch specific fork (like a Reba), which probably will have an inch or more of additional travel. Between the larger wheel and the more travel, will the handling be thrown way off? Any one convert to a 96er who can say how it worked for them?

·
donkey
263 Posts
I put a 29er wheel on my rigid monocog. It had steep angles to begin with, and a very low (in terms of ride height) fork. The 29er wheel made a huge difference in head angle, and i had some trouble with toe overlap. If your talking about a 29er suspension fork, and a 29er wheel, expect a huge slackening of your geometry. I would recommend a rigid 26" fork with a 29er wheel on it. If you go this route, you'll need a disc brake up front because the brake bosses won't line up. Even with my already steep geometry and low rigid fork, i still felt like the front wheel was wandering on climbes and that it had a tendency to flop over. However, it carved downhills like a pair of parabolic skis and rolled over just about everything. i was pretty happy with it and am now thinking about getting a 29er (maybe 1X9?). If you ask more specifc questions, maybe i can contribute a bit more. Hope this helped. In short, your handling will change no matter what, and if you go for a 29er suspension fork it will change drastically.

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
nbrennan said:
I put a 29er wheel on my rigid monocog. It had steep angles to begin with, and a very low (in terms of ride height) fork. The 29er wheel made a huge difference in head angle, and i had some trouble with toe overlap. If your talking about a 29er suspension fork, and a 29er wheel, expect a huge slackening of your geometry. I would recommend a rigid 26" fork with a 29er wheel on it. If you go this route, you'll need a disc brake up front because the brake bosses won't line up. Even with my already steep geometry and low rigid fork, i still felt like the front wheel was wandering on climbes and that it had a tendency to flop over. However, it carved downhills like a pair of parabolic skis and rolled over just about everything. i was pretty happy with it and am now thinking about getting a 29er (maybe 1X9?). If you ask more specifc questions, maybe i can contribute a bit more. Hope this helped. In short, your handling will change no matter what, and if you go for a 29er suspension fork it will change drastically.
Or I think you can just run these: http://www.danscomp.com/482015.php?cat=PARTS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.