Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2021 Stumpjumper which has 140mm in the front and 130mm in the back. I'm considering selling my 2020 Instinct C70 as the bikes are so similar. But I've been curious if there would be any reasonable way to make the Instinct more like an Altitude.
Things I'm considering to achieve this:
  1. Putting the Ride-9 chip in the slackest position
  2. Installing a RockShox Lyrik (160/170mm)
  3. Replacing the DPS with a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate 210x55
Thoughts or suggestions on how I can do this better?

·
Registered
194 Posts
"I put a Lyrik fork on my C70 and also changed the shock to a Fox 8"x2.5" shock so now running 160mm upfront and 155mm in the back, it works good. If you want Rockshox front and rear then its either an older Monarch shock to get 155mm of rear travel or go with a modern metric shock and settle with 140mm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I put a Lyrik fork on my C70 and also changed the shock to a Fox 8"x2.5" shock so now running 160mm upfront and 155mm in the back, it works good. If you want Rockshox front and rear then its either an older Monarch shock to get 155mm of rear travel or go with a modern metric shock and settle with 140mm.
Thanks for this, any reason why the latest Monarch wouldn't work with 216x63?

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Monarch shock works but its my understanding that its older technology compared to the super deluxe shock.

The last time I checked the super deluxe shocks were only available in metric sizes so this limits you to 140mm of rear travel.

For some reason Rocky Mountain designed the standard Instincts around metric sized shocks but used imperial sized shocks for the BC Edition

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,705 Posts
Maybe in certain situations, but not all. The X2 I have for running it in 155 mode kicks the DPX2’s bigger hit performance square in the ass. Maybe climbing/mellow terrain?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The "reason" is that the BC edition started out as an afterthought. If you spend extensive time on both it's pretty clear the bike works better in 140mm out back.
I've spent extensive time on both, and I would overall disagree. There are definitely some obvious advantages with 140, the biggest one of which for me is bottom bracket height. The BB height in 155 mode is a little high for my preference. Also, in 155 mode, you only have the option to use the most progressive ride-9 setting, while in 140 mode you are still free to use that setting, but you can also choose to use a ride-9 setting that gives you a less progressive suspension curve and some may prefer this, depending on riding style and weight.

On the other hand, I find that the bike climbs just as well in 155 mode, and so other than the bb height and being forced to use the most progressive suspension curve, there aren't a lot of other tradeoffs for getting the extra travel. In addition to the extra travel, another potential advantage is that with 155 in back and 160 in front, you get a longer wheel base that can make the bike feel more stable in many situations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.